From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Making notes in a newsgroup
Date: 08 Oct 1998 08:53:38 -0700	[thread overview]

Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> writes:

> > If you want this sent privately. I will.  Or even post it here as it
> > is fairly brief.  But not smooth and professionsal.
>
> Yes, I'd likt to see it!

[Posting here hoping to get some comments on better ways to do this,
or if something similar might be incorporated into gnus]

This setup allows you to use any editing mode (gnus-article-edit) or
(message-mode) Assuming the use of `Message'. To edit an article and
send it to the (`nnml' in this case) group of your choice, allowing
completion to find the group.

This is *not* exactly what you were after. To have edited articles
stored in newgroups.  But does smooth the handling of edited posts a
bit.

All works OK but you must kill the editing buffer once the edited
message is sent where you want it to go.  It would be nice if that
happened automatically, but I've gotten used to it as is so have been
to lazy to figure that out.

If you invoke this function while in Reply or Followup, since the
operation that invoked an editing mode is not completed you may need
to add certain info, if you want it in the edited version, such as
Date.

Whatever editing mode you chose, as long as the edits are not saved
with `C-c C-c' then the original

The best use is `gnus-article-edit-mode' (e) which can be invoked in a
newsgroup by `C-u e' (thanks Lars)

One reason to use Reply or Followup, even `S 0 m'
(`gnus-summary-mail-forward') is that you can process mark a number of
interesting articles show them all in one buffer and edit as you
like. Then invoke the `hp-insert-into-group' funtion to send it where
you want.  To be reviewed, studied etc.  later as an anthology or with
`C-d' ( as a digest)

One possible use of this is to have a group or several groups where
edited messages are sent with some kind of identifying code in the
subject line so as to be able to sort on subject, and have a handy
source of information on various subjects, easily sorted, viewed,
searched and etc. ( combined with the new powers of nnir even a more
handy and accessable reference resource)

Thanks due to Kai and Lars

Comments, bad, good or indifferent solicited....

;defines funtion to allow sending edited messages to group of choice
(defun hp-insert-into-group (name)
 "Lars code (modified hp with help from Kai G.) to send messages
  from editing modes to gnus group  directly.  Prompting for group
  name and method"
  (interactive
   (list
      (gnus-request-accept-article
      (gnus-read-move-group-name " save" nil nil nil)))))

;defines keyboard control sequence for and hook for`message-mode'
(defun hp-message-mode-hook ()
  "Defines kbd C-x a to execute 'hp-insert-into-group'"
  (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "C-x a") 'hp-insert-into-group))
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'hp-message-mode-hook)

;defines keyboard control sequence and hook for `gnus-article-edit-mode'
(defun hp-gnus-article-edit-mode-hook ()
  "Defines kbd C-x a to execute 'hp-insert-into-group'"
  (define-key gnus-article-edit-mode-map (kbd "C-x a") 'hp-insert-into-group))
(add-hook 'gnus-article-edit-mode-hook 'hp-gnus-article-edit-mode-hook)

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1