* gnus-group-get-new-news sometimes "hangs"
@ 1998-04-28 17:41 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-04-28 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Sometimes (actually, quite frequent) when I press "g" in a Group
buffer, Gnus writes "Reading active file from localhost via nntp" and
stays so for quite a long time (e.g., 1 minute). When I stop this
pressing "C-g", and press "g" again, the situation does not change.
When I quit Gnus (via "q") and then immediately run it again (M-x
gnus), it reads all new messages like a charm. Could anyone explain
what happens?

Sometimes these "hangs" recover and Gnus successfully loads new
messages (e.g. after 20-30 seconds of sleeping). I do not remember
this behavior with qgnus.

I tried to telnet to my news server, and it seems to be Ok.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: gnus-group-get-new-news sometimes "hangs"
@ 1998-05-01 18:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-05-01 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> Sometimes (actually, quite frequent) when I press "g" in a Group
> buffer, Gnus writes "Reading active file from localhost via nntp" and
> stays so for quite a long time (e.g., 1 minute). When I stop this
> pressing "C-g", and press "g" again, the situation does not change.
> When I quit Gnus (via "q") and then immediately run it again (M-x
> gnus), it reads all new messages like a charm. Could anyone explain
> what happens?

After `C-g'-ing, if you switch to the "*nntpd*" (note leading space)
buffer, what does things look like there?

* Re: gnus-group-get-new-news sometimes "hangs"
@ 1998-05-01 20:25   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-05-01 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:
>
> > Sometimes (actually, quite frequent) when I press "g" in a Group
> > buffer, Gnus writes "Reading active file from localhost via nntp" and
> > stays so for quite a long time (e.g., 1 minute). When I stop this
> > pressing "C-g", and press "g" again, the situation does not change.
> > When I quit Gnus (via "q") and then immediately run it again (M-x
> > gnus), it reads all new messages like a charm. Could anyone explain
> > what happens?
>
> After `C-g'-ing, if you switch to the "*nntpd*" (note leading space)
> buffer, what does things look like there?

Haven't checked the results of Lars suggestion yet but wanted to add
this:

I have seen something very similar by pressing 'g' having "Reading
active file" seem to take too long. What I have been doing is a little
different but probably gets the same result.  I go into the server
buffer (^) and shut down the server where the read was hanging up with
(C)close.  Then hit (O) open and when it opens press 'g' and the read
will proceed quickly.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com