* Problem with Message-ID and agent Unplugged
@ 2003-04-30 15:43 Thomas Havlovec
From: Thomas Havlovec @ 2003-04-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want my NNTP server to create the Message-ID, so I have the
following in my .gnus (as suggested in the FAQ)

(setq message-required-news-headers
        (remove' Message-ID message-required-news-headers))
(setq message-required-mail-headers
        (remove' Message-ID message-required-mail-headers))

This works fine, if I compose the message "Plugged". But when I create
the posting "Unplugged", it gets a Message-ID like:

<86znmesak9.fsf@totally-fudged-out-message-id>

and the article gets posted with the fudged-MID. Is this a bug, or can
I somehow tell the agent to leave the article without MID?

TIA,

Thomas, Gnus-Newbie

* Re: Problem with Message-ID and agent Unplugged
@ 2003-05-01  7:07 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-01  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Havlovec <hatx@gmx.at> writes:

> and the article gets posted with the fudged-MID. Is this a bug, or can
> I somehow tell the agent to leave the article without MID?

All the messages in Gnus has to have Message-IDs.  When you post
unplugged, the message is posted to nndraft, which will create a
Message-ID.

So what you want isn't supported by Gnus, and I'd suggest you let
Gnus generate proper Message-IDs for you.

* Re: Problem with Message-ID and agent Unplugged
@ 2003-05-01 11:33   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-01 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 01 2003, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> All the messages in Gnus has to have Message-IDs.  When you post
> unplugged, the message is posted to nndraft, which will create a
> Message-ID.

But the agent maybe could remove those fudged MIDs before actually
sending the message, If `message-required-{news,mail}-headers' doesn't
contain MID?

> So what you want isn't supported by Gnus, and I'd suggest you let
> Gnus generate proper Message-IDs for you.

IMHO, Gnus should support it, for people not having an own FQDN.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Problem with Message-ID and agent Unplugged
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-01 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> But the agent maybe could remove those fudged MIDs before actually
> sending the message, If `message-required-{news,mail}-headers' doesn't
> contain MID?

Perhaps, but...

> IMHO, Gnus should support it, for people not having an own FQDN.

... everybody has something that they can put in the RHS of a
Message-ID.