* gnus-summary-next-unread-article, empty groups, and topics
@ 2003-03-23 17:08 Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2003-03-23 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suppose I have 3 groups: nntpA, nntpB, and nnvirt, and nnvirt collects
articles from nntpA & nntpB.  Suppose further that the order of the groups
in the *Group* buffer is:
nnvirt
nntpA
nntpB

Then after reading all of the new articles in nnvirt, if I hit "n n" (for
gnus-summary-next-unread-article), nntpA will be opened with all of the old
articles (as if I had hit RET on a group with no unread articles in it).
This is suboptimal.

OTOH, suppose I have the nntp groups in a sub-topic of the topic containing
nnvirt:
nnvirt
[sub-topic]
  nntpA
  nntpB

In this case, once I finish reading all the new articles in nnvirt, if I "n
n", the two (now caught-up) nntp groups simply get skipped.

Is it possible to get the latter behaviour without having to create
sub-topics for each nnvirtual I make?

Cheers,
--
  Ami Fischman
  usenet@fischman.org

* Re: gnus-summary-next-unread-article, empty groups, and topics
@ 2003-03-30  2:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-03-30  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ami Fischman <usenet@fischman.org> writes:

> Then after reading all of the new articles in nnvirt, if I hit "n n" (for
> gnus-summary-next-unread-article), nntpA will be opened with all of the old
> articles (as if I had hit RET on a group with no unread articles in it).
> This is suboptimal.

I think this bug was fixed recently -- cross-post handling was done
before choosing which next group to read.  Could you check whether
this fixes the nnvirtual problem as well?

* Re: gnus-summary-next-unread-article, empty groups, and topics
@ 2003-03-30  4:04   ` Ami Fischman
From: Ami Fischman @ 2003-03-30  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think this bug was fixed recently -- cross-post handling was done
> before choosing which next group to read.  Could you check whether
> this fixes the nnvirtual problem as well?

Looks like it did.  I had previously sub-topic'd all of the groups that
were collected into nnvirtuals, but have now reverted my setup.  Cursory
testing seems to indicate that 'n n' now does the right thing.  I'll post
again if I see any problems with it.

Cheers,
--
  Ami Fischman