* `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-01-23 20:50 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-01-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Considering Lars nifty policy of never expunging gmane groups, I
woundered if it might be in order to add a modified `A T' command to
gnus.  Or maybe its' already doable some other way.

I'm thinking  it might be possible to somehow tie a date to `A T' so
one could say `C-u 2 A T' and parse only 2wks back instead of all
$LARGNUMBER messages.

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-01-23 21:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-23 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I'm thinking  it might be possible to somehow tie a date to `A T' so
> one could say `C-u 2 A T' and parse only 2wks back instead of all
> $LARGNUMBER messages.

You can't know in advance how many headers you have to fetch to get
two week's worth of headers.

`C-u 1000 A T' will fetch the previous 1000 headers.

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-01-24  1:43   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-01-24  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> I'm thinking  it might be possible to somehow tie a date to `A T' so
>> one could say `C-u 2 A T' and parse only 2wks back instead of all
>> $LARGNUMBER messages.
>
> You can't know in advance how many headers you have to fetch to get
> two week's worth of headers.
>
> `C-u 1000 A T' will fetch the previous 1000 headers.

Yeah, thats what I was looking for... thanks.

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-01-24 12:45   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-24 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> I'm thinking  it might be possible to somehow tie a date to `A T' so
>> one could say `C-u 2 A T' and parse only 2wks back instead of all
>> $LARGNUMBER messages.
>
> You can't know in advance how many headers you have to fetch to get
> two week's worth of headers.
>
> `C-u 1000 A T' will fetch the previous 1000 headers.

I wonder if a chunked mode might be useful?  Fetch $chunksize
headers, look if the root of the thread is in there.  If not, fetch
another $chunksize headers.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-24 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I wonder if a chunked mode might be useful?  Fetch $chunksize
> headers, look if the root of the thread is in there.  If not, fetch
> another $chunksize headers.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

That would be a possibility, but there would have to be a limit to
how far back one should go -- the thread root might not be on the
server (or in the group) at all.

Chunking would make most sense for groups from servers like nntp and
nnimap -- chunking for nnml, for instance, would probably not help
much.  So would this best be placed as a new interface function?
`nnchoke-retrieve-headers-until-message-id'?  If that function isn't
implemented in the back end, it could fall back on using
`nnchoke-retrieve-headers'.

Sounds ok?

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-01-24 18:57       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-24 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Chunking would make most sense for groups from servers like nntp and
> nnimap -- chunking for nnml, for instance, would probably not help
> much.  So would this best be placed as a new interface function?
> `nnchoke-retrieve-headers-until-message-id'?  If that function isn't
> implemented in the back end, it could fall back on using
> `nnchoke-retrieve-headers'.

Good idea.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> Chunking would make most sense for groups from servers like nntp and
>> nnimap -- chunking for nnml, for instance, would probably not help
>> much.  So would this best be placed as a new interface function?
>> `nnchoke-retrieve-headers-until-message-id'?  If that function isn't
>> implemented in the back end, it could fall back on using
>> `nnchoke-retrieve-headers'.
>
> Good idea.

I was afraid you'd say that.  :-)

I've now experimented a bit with the function `A T' command, and I
found that for me, the main problem was this code:

    ;; We want to fetch LIMIT *old* headers, but we also have to
    ;; re-fetch all the headers in the current buffer, because many of
    ;; them may be undisplayed.  So we adjust LIMIT.
    (when (numberp limit)
      (incf limit (- gnus-newsgroup-end gnus-newsgroup-begin))))

In some groups I have dormant old articles, and this means that this
will fetch an enormous number of messages.  I've just removed this,
and had it fetch the previous/next 200 messages in the group.  This
seems to do the trick most of the time, actually.

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-02-07 13:30           ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-07 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In some groups I have dormant old articles, and this means that this
> will fetch an enormous number of messages.  I've just removed this,
> and had it fetch the previous/next 200 messages in the group.  This
> seems to do the trick most of the time, actually.

Wouldn't it be much cleverer to let the server do the dirty searching
job and make a XPAT search on references header?

(This could give the user support for xpat searches I've been whining
for so long, too :-))

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-02-07 13:35             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Wouldn't it be much cleverer to let the server do the dirty searching
> job and make a XPAT search on references header?

Do news servers support XPAT these days?

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-02-07 15:03               ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it be much cleverer to let the server do the dirty searching
>> job and make a XPAT search on references header?
>
> Do news servers support XPAT these days?

Those I use do, (INN 2.3 and Hamster).

--

@ 2003-02-07 17:17                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> Those I use do, (INN 2.3 and Hamster).

I'm too lazy to Google for the syntax today.  What's the syntax for
using XPAT to query a news server for Message-IDs that match a string?

(Anyway, this won't really do the trick reliably.  News clients are
free to drop ids from references, and they do.  But that's a
quality/speed issue.)

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-02-07 17:38                   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-07 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm too lazy to Google for the syntax today.  What's the syntax for
> using XPAT to query a news server for Message-IDs that match a string?

It looks like this:

xpat References 5921 6195 *userfqdn*
221 Header follows
5921 <uof6v23v9.fsf@ichimusai.org> <87vg13smd0.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
 <87k7hjven1.fsf@at_ipipan.waw.pl>
 <4r8nz8te.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
 <u4r8n5mbh.fsf@ichimusai.org>
.

--

@ 2003-02-07 17:44                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> xpat References 5921 6195 *userfqdn*

That doesn't give me any results on Quimby, apparently.  (Which runs
a pretty default Potato Debian inn.)  So perhaps it isn't switched on
by default?

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-02-07 18:28                       ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:
>
>> xpat References 5921 6195 *userfqdn*
>
> That doesn't give me any results on Quimby, apparently.  (Which runs
> a pretty default Potato Debian inn.)  So perhaps it isn't switched on
> by default?

It is, I just had the wrong memory and a server which gratefully
accepted the wrong command.

You can find the detailed description for XPat at
http://www.mibsoftware.com/userkt/nntpext/0026.htm

in the example above, it should be
xpat References 5921-6195 *userfqdn*

It works on Quimby, too:

200 quimby.gnus.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.2.2 13-Dec-1999 ready (posting ok).
group gnus.ding
211 45586 3 45777 gnus.ding
xpat references 45000-45777 *userfqdn*
221 references matches follow.
45040 <848yy2azri.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de> <r8bszyy9.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
45144 <848yy2azri.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de> <r8bszyy9.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
45158 <848yy2azri.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de> <r8bszyy9.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
45275 <848yy2azri.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de> <r8bszyy9.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>

@ 2003-02-07 18:33                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-07 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> in the example above, it should be
> xpat References 5921-6195 *userfqdn*
>
> It works on Quimby, too:

So it does.  So the return value is basically a list of article
numbers (with some more text at the end of the lines).  That can be
used, but I think that the current `A T' implementation will most
likely give better results in most cases (as noted in the previous
message).

* Re: `A T' and Gmanes humongus groups
@ 2003-02-08 15:01                           ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:
>
>> in the example above, it should be
>> xpat References 5921-6195 *userfqdn*
>>
>> It works on Quimby, too:
>
> So it does.  So the return value is basically a list of article
> numbers (with some more text at the end of the lines).  That can be
> used, but I think that the current `A T' implementation will most
> likely give better results in most cases (as noted in the previous
> message).

I don't think so, as well behaving news readers don't drop the MID of the
first article. (Isn't this a "should" in some standard?)

--

@ 2003-02-08 23:53                             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-02-08 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> I don't think so, as well behaving news readers don't drop the MID of the
> first article. (Isn't this a "should" in some standard?)

There used to be, but if I recall correctly, this is no longer a
requirement.  Clients are free to trim any and all Message-IDs from
the References header (except the final one, of course).