* How to debug nntp?
@ 1998-04-14 18:08 Karsten Thygesen
From: Karsten Thygesen @ 1998-04-14 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I have a funny problem. I runs the newsserver at sunsite.auc.dk, which
also gateways this mailinglist to the group emacs.ding.

The newsserver is a Sun/Solaris running Highwind's (www.highwind.com)
Typhoon newsserver, which we are VERY happy with!!!

The problem is, that there seems to be a problem with gnus (and a very
few other news agents like xvnews) when it is going to post an
article.

By snooping on the network traffic, it seems, that gnus issues the
"post" command and gets a

340 Send Article to be Posted

Gnus then deliveres the article but first after a long timeout (10-15
minuttes), it receives an 503 error (server error or timeout).

This is pretty consistent everytime we try to post, but once in
between, it succeeds.

I'm not 100% sure, that it is a problem with the newsserver as several
hundres postings is done on the server daily - mainly with netscape -
so if it was a general problem, we would sure have heard about it :-)

Is there anyway way to debug the nntp communication with gnus? Snoop
is not te best utillity in this regard :-).

If one of you will try for your self, then feel very welcome to post
to our sunsite.test newsgroup.

Please let me know of any ideas you might have...

Best,
Karsten.

--
M.Sc.E.E, Sys/Net-administrator, BOFH, Aalborg University, Denmark
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~karthy/ for more information.

* Re: How to debug nntp?
@ 1998-04-24 20:19 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karsten Thygesen <karthy@kom.auc.dk> writes:

> Gnus then deliveres the article but first after a long timeout (10-15
> minuttes), it receives an 503 error (server error or timeout).

The bug was that Gnus didn't encode the article properly before
posting.  In specific, it didn't put \r at the end of all the lines.

This has been fixed in Gnus 5.6.