* Pcitures in 'From' Header
@ 2003-05-16 19:12 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-05-16 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see that there is a recent trend for posters to include an image of
themselves in the 'From' line.  How is this done?  Does it work universally
or is it just visible with gnus?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com

* Re: Pcitures in 'From' Header
@ 2003-05-16 20:07 ` Jon Ericson
From: Jon Ericson @ 2003-05-16 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I see that there is a recent trend for posters to include an image
> of themselves in the 'From' line.  How is this done?

With the X-Face header.

> Does it work universally or is it just visible with gnus?

It depends on the news/mail reader software.  Here's a good place to
start learning more:

  <http://www.dairiki.org/xface/>

Jon
--
  Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the
  light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.  But whoever lives by

* Re: Pcitures in 'From' Header
@ 2003-05-17 15:07   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2003-05-17 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 16 May 2003 13:07:41 -0700 Jon Ericson wrote:

Jon> Jake Colman <colman=t1HuDRCuBukAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

>> I see that there is a recent trend for posters to include an image
>> of themselves in the 'From' line.  How is this done?

Jon> With the X-Face header.

Or better yet with the "just" released (colored) Face header:)
,----
| http://www.google.nl/search?q=face+header
`----
The first link goes to quimby...

(For now it only works for Gnus, but see earlier comments on this list
aiming at world domination:)

Greetings,
Jochen
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 185 bytes --]

* Re: Pcitures in 'From' Header
@ 2003-05-30 21:09     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2003-05-30 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jochen> Or better yet with the "just" released (colored) Face header:)
Jochen> ,----
Jochen> | http://www.google.nl/search?q=face+header
Jochen> `----
Jochen> The first link goes to quimby...

So, the X- was dropped which I meant to ask:  is that legal?  IE, is
it an officially sanctioned header?  I though X- prefixes were
required for non-standards headers?

* Re: Pcitures in 'From' Header
@ 2003-05-31  3:02       ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-05-31  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wes@hardakers.net> writes:

> So, the X- was dropped which I meant to ask:  is that legal?  IE, is
> it an officially sanctioned header?  I though X- prefixes were
> required for non-standards headers?

No.  For email RFC 2822 doesn't require an X-prefix (cf. section
3.6.8).

For Netnews the Usefor draft actually discourages X- in headers that
are not intended to be human readable.