* Starting new with Gnus on another computer
@ 2001-12-02  8:26 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-12-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

i have a new computer and the following problem: I want to start with
all my old mail/news groups, but have not transferred the news data
(the articles).

Now Gnus tries to catch all articles for all newsgroups from the
newsserver which haven't expired, and in case of comp.emacs i
interrupted at 10 MB data (over 64 Kbit line...). I did made a catchup
before, didn't help.

What to do? I want to start new, with unread and uncatched articles in
ALL groups.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: Starting new with Gnus on another computer
@ 2001-12-02 14:13 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> What to do? I want to start new, with unread and uncatched articles in
> ALL groups.

Maybe M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET helps?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Starting new with Gnus on another computer
@ 2001-12-02 17:45   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-12-02 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    > Maybe M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET helps?

Unfortunately not.

* Re: Starting new with Gnus on another computer
@ 2001-12-03  7:42     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-12-03  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

>     > Maybe M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET helps?
>
> Unfortunately not.

Hm.  Why not?  Maybe the groups where you want this are not native?
Then I'm afraid you might have to do M-x gnus-group-clear-data RET on
each of the groups involved.

Or is it that the groups are native but the command does the wrong
thing?

kai
--

@ 2001-12-03 10:10       ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-12-03 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hello Kai,

    Kai> Hm.  Why not?  Maybe the groups where you want this are not native?

Possible. I am in the company now and can't proof it. In the meantime
i downloaded all groups, about 30 MB.

Best regards,
Christoph Conrad
--
TTi Entwicklungszentrum GmbH,  Elisabethstr. 16, D-52062 Aachen
Fon: +49 241 47051-0  Fax: +49 241 47051-89 Web: http://www.ttisystems.com

* Re: Starting new with Gnus on another computer
@ 2001-12-07 14:11 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-12-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> i have a new computer and the following problem: I want to start with
> all my old mail/news groups, but have not transferred the news data
> (the articles).
>
> Now Gnus tries to catch all articles for all newsgroups from the
> newsserver which haven't expired, and in case of comp.emacs i
> interrupted at 10 MB data (over 64 Kbit line...). I did made a catchup
> before, didn't help.
>
> What to do? I want to start new, with unread and uncatched articles in
> ALL groups.

Gnus should not download all articles from all newsgroups on the
server unless you enter the group and select the articles manually.
If this really is happening, you could try M-x debug-on-entry RET
nntp-request-article RET and post the backtrace.

My guess would be that what is being downloaded is the headers,
perhaps you could frob `gnus-fetch-old-headers'.

* Re: Starting new with Gnus on another computer
@ 2001-12-07 21:54   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-12-07 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Simon,

you wrote:

    > manually. If this really is happening, you could try M-x
    > debug-on-entry RET nntp-request-article RET and post the
    > backtrace.

Mhmmm, now i remember that the same behaviour is with subscribubg a
new group... I will make more investigation, but in the next days i
have first some migration work to set up my new computer first
(P133/64MB->A1.4GHz/1GB, whewww!).

    > My guess would be that what is being downloaded is the headers,
    > perhaps you could frob `gnus-fetch-old-headers'.

It's nil as it should be.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--

@ 2001-12-09  6:43   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-12-09  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Simon,

you wrote:

    > My guess would be that what is being downloaded is the headers,
    > perhaps you could frob `gnus-fetch-old-headers'.

Yes, the headers are downloaded (agent mode). I forged another place,
which worked:

in ".newsrc.eld" i changed in gnus-newsrc-alist

,----
`----

,----
| ... de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde" 3 ((1 . 18308)) nil
`----

The second number (18308) is the first number from the corresponding
line in the "active" file, in my case
"~/News/agent/nntp/News.CIS.DFN.DE/agent.lib/active":

,----
| de.comp.os.unix.apps.kde 18308 18308 y
`----

As you see in the line before, i first tried setting the second number
equal to the first one, but this didn't work.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-