* procmail/gnus problem?
@ 2000-11-05 18:59 Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2000-11-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I have HOURS trying to find a solution to this problem. I don't know if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Recently I set up procmail, and attempted to change the gnus startup file to import my procmail directory.  I added the following:
(setq
 gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
 nnmail-spool-file 'procmail
 nnmail-procmail-directory "~/incoming/"
 nnmail-delete-incoming t
)

My mailing lists are spooled into ~/incoming/ and have extensions like 'list.gnus.spool'.
I thought they would be imported to -> list.gnus, etc...

When starting gnus 5.8.8 I get the following error:
Wrong type argument: listp, procmail

I am using xemacs 21.1.12.

Any insight into this error appreciated.  I saw something in the list where nnmail-spool-file shouldn't be set to procmail, but wasn't sure if thats what I wanted.

Thanks.

- Nick

Here is a backtrace.

Backtrace:
Signaling: (wrong-type-argument listp procmail)
  nnmail-get-new-mail(nnml nnml-save-nov "~/Mail/" nil)
  nnml-request-scan(nil "")
  gnus-request-scan(nil (nnml ""))
  gnus-read-active-file-1((nnml "") nil)
  gnus-read-active-file(nil nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("..." [dont-connect did-connect gnus-group-quit gnus-run-hooks gnus-startup-hook gnus-make-newsrc-file gnus-startup-file gnus-current-startup-file gnus-slave gnus-use-dribble-file gnus-dribble-read-file gnus-use-grouplens bbb-login add-hook gnus-summary-mode-hook gnus-grouplens-mode gnus-setup-news nil level gnus-setup-news-hook gnus-start-draft-setup gnus-group-list-groups gnus-group-first-unread-group gnus-configure-windows group gnus-group-set-mode-line gnus-started-hook] 4)
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus)
  command-execute(gnus t)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

* Re: procmail/gnus problem?
@ 2000-11-05 20:00 ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2000-11-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

NP> Recently I set up procmail, and attempted to change the gnus startup file to import my procmail directory.  I added the following:
NP> (setq
NP>  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
NP>  nnmail-spool-file 'procmail
NP>  nnmail-procmail-directory "~/incoming/"
NP>  nnmail-delete-incoming t
NP> )

Here is the relevant portion of my procmail setup. I think you might be
using some obsolete variables.

(setq
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml ""))			; Incoming Mail
      nnml-get-new-mail t
      mail-sources
      '((directory
	 :path "~/.spool/"
	 :suffix "")))

NP> My mailing lists are spooled into ~/incoming/ and have extensions
NP> like 'list.gnus.spool'.

You should change the path and suffix parameter accordingly.

NP> I thought they would be imported to -> list.gnus, etc...

Yes. This is what will happen.
--
Nevin

* Re: procmail/gnus problem?
@ 2000-11-06  8:59   ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2000-11-06  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Thanks Nevin,

This worked... i ended up respooling most of my mail because I messed
my directories.  Who knows if switching over to procmail was
productive in any way.

This brings up the question, why does the FAQ say to insert the
following in the startup file? :
(setq
 gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
 nnmail-spool-file 'procmail
 nnmail-procmail-directory "~/incoming/"
 nnmail-delete-incoming t
)

Should the maintainer be contacted?  Is the previous valid and I made a
mistake?

- Nick

@ 2000-11-06  9:49     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-06  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nevin Kapur, ding

On 06 Nov 2000, Nick Papadonis wrote:

> This brings up the question, why does the FAQ say to insert the
> following in the startup file? :
> (setq
>  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
>  nnmail-spool-file 'procmail
>  nnmail-procmail-directory "~/incoming/"
>  nnmail-delete-incoming t
> )

This was correct until Gnus 5.7.  Sometime in the 5.8 development
cycle, mail-sources.el was introduced.  Maybe the FAQ is out of date?

Where did you find the FAQ?  I just looked in the current version in
the Gnus info file, but didn't find anything.

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: procmail/gnus problem?
@ 2000-11-06 10:08       ` Nick Papadonis
From: Nick Papadonis @ 2000-11-06 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nevin Kapur, ding

Off www.gnus.org (Official Version) :
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/software/contrib/gnus/

I also looked at the info FAQ and it doesn't include section 4.8.

Looks like the one with gnus dist is incomplete or the 'official'
version on the web May-22-00 needs an update.

--

.. Nick Papadonis

* Gnus FAQ bug report (was: Re: procmail/gnus problem?)
@ 2000-11-06 10:55     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-06 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nevin Kapur, ding, Nick Papadonis

Dear Justin,

the Gnus FAQ mentions the following Lisp code in `Q4.8 Procmail and
Gnus':

/----
| (setq
|  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
|  nnmail-use-procmail t
|  nnmail-spool-file 'procmail            ; same as nnmail-use-procmail :-)
|  nnmail-procmail-directory "~/.incoming/"
|  nnmail-delete-incoming t
| )
\----

For Gnus 5.8, this should be changed as follows, I think:

/----
| (setq
|  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
|  mail-sources '((directory :path "~/.incoming/" :suffix ".spool"))
|  mail-source-delete-incoming t
| )
\----

I'm not sure if it is necessary to also (setq nnmail-spool-file
mail-sources) to work around a bug in the officially released version
of Gnus.  Anyone?  This might have been fixed in 5.8.7 already.

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: Gnus FAQ bug report (was: Re: procmail/gnus problem?)
@ 2000-11-06 17:00       ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-11-06 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nevin Kapur, ding, Nick Papadonis

> For Gnus 5.8, this should be changed as follows, I think:
>
> /----
> | (setq
> |  gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
> |  mail-sources '((directory :path "~/.incoming/" :suffix ".spool"))
> |  mail-source-delete-incoming t
> | )
> \----

Righto.  I'll add that.

> I'm not sure if it is necessary to also (setq nnmail-spool-file
> mail-sources) to work around a bug in the officially released version
> of Gnus.  Anyone?  This might have been fixed in 5.8.7 already.

Even in versions where it is fixed, it doesn't hurt, so I will put
that suggestion in the FAQ.

Thanks,

-Justin

* Re: procmail/gnus problem?
@ 2000-11-12 11:24   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2000-11-12 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nevin> Here is the relevant portion of my procmail setup. I think you might be
Nevin> using some obsolete variables.

Nevin> (setq
Nevin>       gnus-secondary-select-methods
Nevin>       '((nnml ""))			; Incoming Mail
Nevin>       nnml-get-new-mail t
Nevin>       mail-sources
Nevin>       '((directory
Nevin> 	 :path "~/.spool/"
Nevin> 	 :suffix "")))

NP> My mailing lists are spooled into ~/incoming/ and have extensions
NP> like 'list.gnus.spool'.

And here's mine.  I'm not sure now why I needed the "don't look at
empty files" predicate (but I do recall going to great pains to insert
it for some reason).  But it's here:

(setq
 mail-sources '((directory
		 :path "~/.incoming/"
		 :predicate (lambda (f)
			      (not (zerop (nth 7 (file-attributes f)))))
		 )) ; terry gnus
 mail-source-delete-incoming t		; terry gnus
)

For nnml:FOO, I have my incoming handler drop it into ~/.incoming/FOO.spool