* Threading is messed up
@ 1999-11-18  1:22 Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-11-18  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

This might be related to recalling cached articles with 'Y c'.

Previous, I had a thread that looked something like (edited to look
the way I remembered):

R      [  25: Kai Großjohann      ]
R          [  24: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
R              [  13: Lars Magne Ingebrigt]
R                  [  18: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
R                  [  23: Kai Großjohann      ]
R                      [  18: Hrvoje Niksic       ]

I pushed 'Y c' to recall cached articles. Now that thread looks like:

O* [  27: Lars Magne Ingebrigt] Re: Suggested features
R      [  25: Kai Großjohann      ]
R          [  24: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
R              [  13: Lars Magne Ingebrigt]
R                  [  18: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
R                  [  23: Kai Großjohann      ]
R                      [  18: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
R*     [  15: Brian May           ]
R*         [  13: Lars Magne Ingebrigt]

ie the original article is down below the reply. sometimes, when PGnus
gets really confused articles might even appear under the *next* thread.

Reloading the entire thread fixes this problem.

Obviously something is not working like it should...

I am not exactly sure of these steps. If I reproduce the problem again,
I will post the details.
--
Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au>

* Re: Threading is messed up
@ 1999-11-18  3:25 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1999-11-18  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bam@silas.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:

> ie the original article is down below the reply.

Yep.  I've seen this once or twice myself with pgnus.  I hadn't yet
narrowed down exactly what was going on, so I hadn't yet reported it.

Well, I still haven't.  I'm just sticking my head in now to corroborate.

-Justin

* Re: Threading is messed up
@ 1999-11-18 11:32   ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1999-11-18 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <dworkin@ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Brian May <bam@silas.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:
>
> > ie the original article is down below the reply.
>
> Yep.  I've seen this once or twice myself with pgnus.  I hadn't yet
> narrowed down exactly what was going on, so I hadn't yet reported it.
>
> Well, I still haven't.  I'm just sticking my head in now to corroborate.

I hate `me toos' but, uh, me too.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>

* Re: Threading is messed up
@ 1999-12-01 16:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

So the original article here is the one marked "<----"?

> sometimes, when PGnus
> gets really confused articles might even appear under the *next* thread.
>
> Reloading the entire thread fixes this problem.
>
> Obviously something is not working like it should...

The re-threading code has been fiddled with extensively, and if it
works all the time now, I'll be really surprised.  :-)

I'm not able to reproduce this particular bug, though.

* Re: Threading is messed up
@ 1999-12-02  1:01   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-02  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Brian May <bam@silas-2.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:
    >> O* [  27: Lars Magne Ingebrigt] Re: Suggested features
    >> R      [  25: Kai Großjohann      ]
    >> R          [  24: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
    >> R              [  13: Lars Magne Ingebrigt]
    >> R                  [  18: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
    >> R                  [  23: Kai Großjohann      ]
    >> R                      [  18: Hrvoje Niksic       ]
    >> R*     [  15: Brian May           ]  <----
    >> R*         [  13: Lars Magne Ingebrigt]
    >>
    >> ie the original article is down below the reply.

    Lars> So the original article here is the one marked "<----"?

Yes. All other articles are replies. I can't remember the
details of this test though, so I may have forgotten something.

    >> sometimes, when PGnus
    >> gets really confused articles might even appear under the *next* thread.
    >>
    >> Reloading the entire thread fixes this problem.
    >>
    >> Obviously something is not working like it should...

    Lars> The re-threading code has been fiddled with extensively, and if it
    Lars> works all the time now, I'll be really surprised.  :-)

    Lars> I'm not able to reproduce this particular bug, though.

I think the problem (did I say so in my original message?) Is
that /* inserts articles above the current cursor position.

Will try to see if I can reproduce the problem with 0.99, ASAP.

--

@ 1999-12-02  7:37   ` Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) @ 1999-12-02  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The re-threading code has been fiddled with extensively, and if it
> works all the time now, I'll be really surprised.  :-)
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this particular bug, though.

I also see this problem quite frequently.  It seems that gnus tend to
prefer ordering the articles by their number even when the references
indicate that the reply arrived before the original.

What information to save next time I see it? (I'll upgrade to 0.99 later
today).

Yair Friedman.

* Re: Threading is messed up
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <YAIRFR@Amdocs.com> writes:

> I also see this problem quite frequently.  It seems that gnus tend to
> prefer ordering the articles by their number even when the references
> indicate that the reply arrived before the original.

I'm unable to reproduce this.  When I `j' to an article, it get
threaded properly...

* Re: Threading is messed up
@ 1999-12-06  0:13   ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 1999-12-06  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> The re-threading code has been fiddled with extensively, and
    Lars> if it works all the time now, I'll be really surprised.  :-)

    Lars> I'm not able to reproduce this particular bug, though.

This problem still exists with Gnus v5.8.2.

/ * inserts cached articles above the current cursor position.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:

> / * inserts cached articles above the current cursor position.

Hm, yes.  But it looks like if there are parts of the thread in the
buffer, it will insert the articles there instead.  I don't think this
state of affairs is bad...

* Re: Threading is messed up
@ 2000-04-21 21:47       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-04-21 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Brian May <bmay@csse.monash.edu.au> writes:
>
> > / * inserts cached articles above the current cursor position.
>
> [...]  I don't think this state of affairs is bad...

I think the articles should be inserted in the right position.  In the
same position they would be in if they were ticked, say.

Currently, cached articles will be displayed in reverse order.

kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: Threading is messed up
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-22 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Currently, cached articles will be displayed in reverse order.

I've now reversed the order the cached articles are inserted into the
buffer.