* Re: documentation of agent posting
       [not found] <m3iuatze2o.fsf@serpent.laymusic.>
@ 1999-04-19  6:52 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-19  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

lconrad@world.std.com writes:

> A problem I had to solve before I felt I had the agent working was
> that posting didn't work for me when I first tried it.
>
> The thing I changed between when it worked and when it didn't work was
> that the default setting for the variable
> gnus-agent-send-mail-function was set to
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail, and I'm using qmail.  Once I put:
>
> (setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function     'message-send-mail-with-qmail)
>
> into my .gnus, I was able to post successfully.

That variable is an internal variable, and shouldn't be touched.  It's
just supposed to be a copy of `message-send-mail-function', and is
where it gets its value from.

This is part of that nebulous "set up Gnus so that it works online"
part of the recipe.

* documentation of agent posting
@ 1999-04-18 23:47 lconrad
From: lconrad @ 1999-04-18 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

A problem I had to solve before I felt I had the agent working was
that posting didn't work for me when I first tried it.

The thing I changed between when it worked and when it didn't work was
that the default setting for the variable
gnus-agent-send-mail-function was set to
message-send-mail-with-sendmail, and I'm using qmail.  Once I put:

(setq gnus-agent-send-mail-function     'message-send-mail-with-qmail)

into my .gnus, I was able to post successfully.

I think there are starting to be enough people in the world who aren't
using sendmail that the gnus documentation should address this.  It
could be in the list of agent variables section.

It might also make sense to add a "What if I'm not using sendmail?"
section to the FAQ.
--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097