* Minibuffer messages: "Checking new news...done"
@ 2002-01-29  5:45 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-01-29  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

When you press 'g' to get new news, you can watch the minibuffer saying:

    Checking new news...
    nnml: Reading incoming mail from file...
    Wrote /home/ke/Mail/mail/tux/626
    Wrote /home/ke/Mail/list/gutvol-d/1341
    nnml: Reading incoming mail (45 new)...done
    Checking new news...done

The last message will hide the more important info how many messages did
arrive (45 new).  At least, most of the time this info is more
important to me.  Is it possible to repeat this info:

    Checking new news...45 new message(s)...done

Another remark:

The "Wrote..." messages are interesting, but they will clutter the
*Messages* buffer; I recommend to stick them into a separate
*Gnus-Messages* buffer.  Yes, I know about *nnmail split history*:
often it isn't properly resetted/truncated and it doesn't seem to work
reliably when it is initialized at the start.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: Minibuffer messages: "Checking new news...done"
@ 2003-01-02  3:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-02  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

>     Checking new news...
>     nnml: Reading incoming mail from file...
>     Wrote /home/ke/Mail/mail/tux/626
>     Wrote /home/ke/Mail/list/gutvol-d/1341
>     nnml: Reading incoming mail (45 new)...done
>     Checking new news...done

If you set `gnus-verbose' to 5 (with the current CVS), the latter
message won't be displayed.

> The "Wrote..." messages are interesting, but they will clutter the
> *Messages* buffer; I recommend to stick them into a separate
> *Gnus-Messages* buffer.

They are message by `write-region', and I think the only thing that
can be done is to disable the messages altogether.  I kinda like
seeing them...

* Re: Minibuffer messages: "Checking new news...done"
@ 2003-03-19  9:20   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-03-19  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:
>
>>     Checking new news...
>>     nnml: Reading incoming mail from file...
>>     Wrote /home/ke/Mail/mail/tux/626
>>     Wrote /home/ke/Mail/list/gutvol-d/1341
>>     nnml: Reading incoming mail (45 new)...done
>>     Checking new news...done
>
> If you set `gnus-verbose' to 5 (with the current CVS), the latter
> message won't be displayed.

Thanks for the hint!

>> The "Wrote..." messages are interesting, but they will clutter the
>> *Messages* buffer; I recommend to stick them into a separate
>> *Gnus-Messages* buffer.
>
> They are message by `write-region', and I think the only thing that
> can be done is to disable the messages altogether.  I kinda like
> seeing them...

Maybe it's time to make Gnus log into a file and/or an own message
buffer?  I didn't check whether such a feature already exists by
default.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o