* Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2001-12-31 14:14 Steve Youngs
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Youngs @ 2001-12-31 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars, what have you done to my picons?  I'm seeing a couple of
problems...

It looks like picons in "unknown" aren't being used.  And also they
are munging up email addresses.

  e.g. <larsi@gnus.org> becomes <larsi@.org[glyph]>
       <youngs@xemacs.org> becomes <youngs@.org[glyph]>

Kinda plays merry hell with my 'bbdb-notice-hook'. :-(

OMG, it's after midnight.  2002 already!

Happy New Year folks!

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2001-12-31 14:37 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-31 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs wrote:

> Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:14:26 +1000

> OMG, it's after midnight.  2002 already!

        So it's Dec. 31st just after midnight, and you're sitting in front of
your computer instead of kissing both jows of each of the 40 people at the
party you're at ? tss tss tss...

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2001-12-31 15:36   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2001-12-31 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "drv" == Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

  drv> Steve Youngs wrote:
  >>Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:14:26 +1000

  >>OMG, it's after midnight.  2002 already!

  drv> So it's Dec. 31st just after midnight, and you're sitting in
  drv> front of your computer instead of kissing both jows of each of
  drv> the 40 people at the party you're at ? tss tss tss...

Yep, it's what you get when you have a wife who's 7+ months pregnant,
and a toddler asleep upstairs.  I have no life. :-(

But I'm not the only one...

,----[ emacs/lisp/ChangeLog ]
| 2001-12-25  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
|
| 	* window.el
|
| 2001-12-25  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@is.elta.co.il>
|
|	* international/fontset.el
|
| 2001-12-25  Pavel Janík  <Pavel@Janik.cz>
|
|	* emulation/tpu-edt.el
`----

They sure do make em keen over at FSF land, huh? :-)

--

@ 2001-12-31 15:50     ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-12-31 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs wrote:

> Yep, it's what you get when you have a wife who's 7+ months pregnant, and a
> toddler asleep upstairs. I have no life. :-(

        I see. It's amusing to notice that many hackers claim to have no life
for just the opposite reason: no wife, no toddler, not even a girlfriend ...
you know :-)

--

@ 2001-12-31 17:20     ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-12-31 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org>
   Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 01:36:28 +1000

   > But I'm not the only one...
   > | 2001-12-25  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
   > | 2001-12-25  Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@is.elta.co.il>
   > | 2001-12-25  Pavel Janík  <Pavel@Janik.cz>

;-) We are watching you too :-)
--
Pavel Janík

Write clearly - don't be too clever.
                  --  The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2001-12-31 17:34 ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2001-12-31 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org>
   Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 00:14:26 +1000

   > Lars, what have you done to my picons?  I'm seeing a couple of
   > problems...

Lars? Who is that ;-)

   > It looks like picons in "unknown" aren't being used.  And also they
   > are munging up email addresses.
   >
   >   e.g. <larsi@gnus.org> becomes <larsi@.org[glyph]>
   >        <youngs@xemacs.org> becomes <youngs@.org[glyph]>

Already fixed. cvs up.

   > Kinda plays merry hell with my 'bbdb-notice-hook'. :-(

Yeah, the same here. I spent about three seconds on fixing it.

   > OMG, it's after midnight.  2002 already!
   >
   > Happy New Year folks!

For all. I still have five hours to play.
--
Pavel Janík

die_if_kernel("Whee... Hello Mr. Penguin", current->tss.kregs);
                  -- 2.2.16 arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2001-12-31 22:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

> It looks like picons in "unknown" aren't being used.

That's been fixed by now...

> And also they
> are munging up email addresses.
>
>   e.g. <larsi@gnus.org> becomes <larsi@.org[glyph]>
>        <youngs@xemacs.org> becomes <youngs@.org[glyph]>

I've now fixed it so that it also inserts the string the glyph
represents, but I seem to be unable to find out how to do the same
trick that Emacs 21 does with images -- that there's an "invisible
string" (yes, I know -- not really) that the glyph represents that
gets yanked when looking for strings, etc.

I know that it's possible to do the same in XEmacs (well, I think so,
because I think I've done so before), but does anybody remember how
one does that?

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2001-12-31 23:43   ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-12-31 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:
>
>> It looks like picons in "unknown" aren't being used.
>
> That's been fixed by now...
>
>> And also they
>> are munging up email addresses.
>>
>>   e.g. <larsi@gnus.org> becomes <larsi@.org[glyph]>
>>        <youngs@xemacs.org> becomes <youngs@.org[glyph]>
>
> I've now fixed it so that it also inserts the string the glyph
> represents, but I seem to be unable to find out how to do the same
> trick that Emacs 21 does with images -- that there's an "invisible
> string" (yes, I know -- not really) that the glyph represents that
> gets yanked when looking for strings, etc.
>
> I know that it's possible to do the same in XEmacs (well, I think so,
> because I think I've done so before), but does anybody remember how
> one does that?

Adding 'display property to the text does the trick. See Dave's code
in smiley-ems.el.

ShengHuo

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

>> I know that it's possible to do the same in XEmacs (well, I think so,
>> because I think I've done so before), but does anybody remember how
>> one does that?
>
> Adding 'display property to the text does the trick. See Dave's code
> in smiley-ems.el.

I was a bit unclear.  :-)

I know how to do this in Emacs, but not in XEmacs.  Does anybody
remember how to do this in XEmacs?

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2002-01-01  3:39   ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-01-01  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

  LMI> Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:
  >>It looks like picons in "unknown" aren't being used.

  LMI> That's been fixed by now...

I'm not so sure that it has.  I'm seeing a lot less picons than I used
to, which is why I suggested that maybe "unknown" isn't being used.  I
have:

,----
| (setq
|  gnus-picon-databases '("/usr/local/faces")
|  gnus-picon-user-directories '("users" "unknown" "misc")
|  gnus-picon-domain-directories '("domains" "unknown" "misc")
|  gnus-picon-news-directories '("news" "misc" "unknown"))
`----

Which reminds me, that was cruel changing all the gnus-picons-* to
gnus-picon-*.  I kept thinking "yeah I've set the right stuff, so why
isn't this working?" :-(

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-01  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

> I'm not so sure that it has.  I'm seeing a lot less picons than I used
> to, which is why I suggested that maybe "unknown" isn't being used.

On what items don't you see (as many) picons?

> | (setq
> |  gnus-picon-databases '("/usr/local/faces")
> |  gnus-picon-user-directories '("users" "unknown" "misc")
> |  gnus-picon-domain-directories '("domains" "unknown" "misc")
> |  gnus-picon-news-directories '("news" "misc" "unknown"))

Try removing all these to let it used the standard values.

> Which reminds me, that was cruel changing all the gnus-picons-* to
> gnus-picon-*.  I kept thinking "yeah I've set the right stuff, so why
> isn't this working?" :-(

Since the new picon stuff is kinda unlike the old picon stuff, I
didn't want old variable values to trample the new stuff.

In the end, it doesn't look like I've kept all that many variables,
and the ones I kept also kept their semantics, so perhaps I should
just rename them back.

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2002-01-01  4:30       ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-01-01  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

|--==> "LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

  LMI> Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:
  >>I'm not so sure that it has.  I'm seeing a lot less picons than I used
  >>to, which is why I suggested that maybe "unknown" isn't being used.

  LMI> On what items don't you see (as many) picons?

All headers that are picon-able.

  >>| (setq
  >>|  gnus-picon-databases '("/usr/local/faces")
  >>|  gnus-picon-user-directories '("users" "unknown" "misc")
  >>|  gnus-picon-domain-directories '("domains" "unknown" "misc")
  >>|  gnus-picon-news-directories '("news" "misc" "unknown"))

  LMI> Try removing all these to let it used the standard values.

This results in zero picons displayed. :-(

--

@ 2002-01-01  4:43         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-01-01  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Youngs <youngs@xemacs.org> writes:

>   LMI> On what items don't you see (as many) picons?
>
> All headers that are picon-able.

Give me an example header that's not as piconified as before, and
which elements that are missing picons.

>   >>| (setq
>   >>|  gnus-picon-databases '("/usr/local/faces")
>   >>|  gnus-picon-user-directories '("users" "unknown" "misc")
>   >>|  gnus-picon-domain-directories '("domains" "unknown" "misc")
>   >>|  gnus-picon-news-directories '("news" "misc" "unknown"))
>
>   LMI> Try removing all these to let it used the standard values.
>
> This results in zero picons displayed. :-(

The only extra thing in your lists is "misc" and "unknown", which only
provide certain default picons.  (And `gnus-picon-user-directories'
already has "misc".)

* Re: Picons - Is it me or has something gone awry
@ 2002-01-01  4:55       ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2002-01-01  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ Talking about invisible(?) text under picons ]

,----[ M-: (Info-goto-node "(lispref)Extent Properties") ]
| `invisible'
|      (Boolean) If `t', text under this extent will not be displayed -
|      it will look as if the text is not there at all.
`----

Is that the kind of thing you're after?  Also, have a look in
smiley.el.