* Announce: Sending message/partial
@ 2000-04-27 19:54 Shenghuo ZHU
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-27 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?

Currently, the default value is nil, which means no limit.

,--------

`--------

--
Shenghuo

* Re: Announce: Sending message/partial
@ 2000-04-27 20:08 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-04-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
> by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?

I think that, since most mailers can't handle message/partial (and
when I was on TM and SEMI lists, the question how to turn splitting
off always came up), the default should be unlimited.

197 days, 19 hours, 27 minutes, 26 seconds till we run away.
Americans are people who insist on living in the present, tense.

* Re: Announce: Sending message/partial
@ 2000-04-27 20:12 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 2000-04-27 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU writes:

> Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
> by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?

Personally, I think it ought to be nil, but we don't live in a perfect
world.

I would say make it as large as the major MTAs and MUAs can handle.
It should certainly be no smaller that 1mB.

--
Colin

* Re: Announce: Sending message/partial
@ 2000-04-27 20:55   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-27 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan> Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>> Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
>> by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?

Alan> I think that, since most mailers can't handle message/partial
Alan> (and when I was on TM and SEMI lists, the question how to turn
Alan> splitting off always came up), the default should be unlimited.

IIRC, TM sends message/partial without asking user.  In my implement,
the user have to confirm it if a message size is large than the limit.

--

@ 2000-04-27 21:03   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-04-27 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Shenghuo ZHU writes:
>> Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
>> by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?

>> Personally, I think it ought to be nil, but we don't live in a
>> perfect world.

>> I would say make it as large as the major MTAs and MUAs can handle.
>> It should certainly be no smaller that 1mB.

So I am going to set it to 1000000.  Anyway, it is just an advisory
value. Gnus won't split it without your confirmation.

--

@ 2000-05-30 19:27 ` Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs @ 2000-05-30 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

* 2000-04-27 Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> list.emacs-ding
| Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
| by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?
|
| Currently, the default value is nil, which means no limit.

Please also add a command to turn on / off message sending feature and
provide a small modeline indication when message is about
to send as "partial".

jari

* Re: Announce: Sending message/partial
@ 2000-06-02 16:31   ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 2000-06-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

posting-list@MailAndNews.com (Jari Aalto+mail.emacs) writes:

> * 2000-04-27 Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> list.emacs-ding
> | Gnus is able to send a large message in parts. The limit is controlled
> | by message-send-mail-partially-limit. What is the reasonable limit?
> |
> | Currently, the default value is nil, which means no limit.
>
> Please also add a command to turn on / off message sending feature
> and provide a small modeline indication when message is about to
> send as "partial".

Whether the message is sent as "partial" depends on the size of
encoded message.  It is impossible (at least unlikely) to indicate it
when you are editing the message.

Adding a command to turn on/off the feature is not necessary, because
you will be asked to confirm to send a very large message in
message/partial (TM don't ask).

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-10 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > | Gnus is able to send a large message in parts.

Cool!

> Adding a command to turn on/off the feature is not necessary, because
> you will be asked to confirm to send a very large message in
> message/partial (TM don't ask).

Yup; seems reasonable to me.