* gnus chokes on this junk mail
@ 1998-01-08 11:07 Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-01-08 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed that gnus chokes on the attached junk mail. Maybe a bug?  I
had to removed the mail from a huge spool file before gnus was able to
process the rest of the file. Junk mail gets really annyoing nowadays.

cu
Stefan.

[-- Attachment #2: fucker --]

Stefan Waldherr                office +1 (412) 268-3837
                                  fax +1 (412) 268-5576
                               e-Mail swa@cs.cmu.edu
                                  www http://www.waldherr.org/

* Re: gnus chokes on this junk mail
@ 1998-01-10 21:39 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-01-10 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> I noticed that gnus chokes on the attached junk mail. Maybe a bug?  I
> had to removed the mail from a huge spool file before gnus was able to
> process the rest of the file. Junk mail gets really annyoing nowadays.

Does emacs crash or does gnus simply report some error?

That looks like a regexp bug I reported here and to RMS a while back.
It turns out that in some cases (hairy regexps of certain sorts?), the
regexp matching code requires an amount of temporary space based on
the size of the buffer-portion it's trying to match against -- such as
the entire "to:" field.  Try cutting down the "to:" field
significantly and see if gnus can handle it then.

Ken

* Re: gnus chokes on this junk mail
@ 1998-01-10 22:05   ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-01-10 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Ken> Does emacs crash or does gnus simply report some error?

Nope, gnus simply stops.

  Ken> size of the buffer-portion it's trying to match against -- such as the
  Ken> entire "to:" field.  Try cutting down the "to:" field significantly and
  Ken> see if gnus can handle it then.

You were right. I removed a bunch of lines from the `To' field and gnus could
read the mail. Nevertheless I consider it a bug. In fact a nasty one.

S.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-12 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

>   Ken> size of the buffer-portion it's trying to match against -- such as the
>   Ken> entire "to:" field.  Try cutting down the "to:" field significantly and
>   Ken> see if gnus can handle it then.
>
> You were right. I removed a bunch of lines from the `To' field and gnus could
> read the mail. Nevertheless I consider it a bug. In fact a nasty one.

Does it hang forever, or does it just take lots of time?

* Re: gnus chokes on this junk mail
@ 1998-01-12 22:44       ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 1998-01-12 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Stefan Waldherr <swa@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

>> You were right. I removed a bunch of lines from the `To' field and gnus
>> could read the mail. Nevertheless I consider it a bug. In fact a nasty
>> one.

> Does it hang forever, or does it just take lots of time?

It just takes a lot of time (upwards of five to ten minutes on my
machine).  An unavoidable side effect of slow regex matching, I think,
although one could argue that Gnus should simply bail on attempting to
match anything with a To header over a certain length.

I've considered just procmailing such messages away, as they're invariably
spam.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: gnus chokes on this junk mail
@ 1998-01-12 22:47       ` Stefan Waldherr
From: Stefan Waldherr @ 1998-01-12 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

  >>  You were right. I removed a bunch of lines from the `To' field and gnus
  >> could read the mail. Nevertheless I consider it a bug. In fact a nasty
  >> one.

  Lars> Does it hang forever, or does it just take lots of time?

I don't quite remember but a fairly long time passed until I ^G'ed my XEmacs.

S.
--

@ 1998-01-12 22:51         ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-01-12 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   >>  You were right. I removed a bunch of lines from the `To' field and gnus
>   >> could read the mail. Nevertheless I consider it a bug. In fact a nasty
>   >> one.
>
>   Lars> Does it hang forever, or does it just take lots of time?
>
> I don't quite remember but a fairly long time passed until I ^G'ed
> my XEmacs.

You may wish to set `debug-on-quit' to t, and mail us the backtrace
that pops up after you press C-g.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: gnus chokes on this junk mail
@ 1998-01-13 21:11         ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1998-01-13 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> It just takes a lot of time (upwards of five to ten minutes on my
> machine).  An unavoidable side effect of slow regex matching, I think,
> although one could argue that Gnus should simply bail on attempting to
> match anything with a To header over a certain length.

Or split the header into managable chunks for matching.

> I've considered just procmailing such messages away, as they're invariably
> spam.

Almost.  I've seen mail recently with a large "to" header because the
sender wanted to ask the maintainers of a large set of programs about
distributing those programs or some such.

* Re: gnus chokes on this junk mail
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> It just takes a lot of time (upwards of five to ten minutes on my
> machine).  An unavoidable side effect of slow regex matching, I think,
> although one could argue that Gnus should simply bail on attempting to
> match anything with a To header over a certain length.

Hm... yes.  Perhaps the mail splitting code should go over the headers
and shorten all headers that are longer than N octects?  How big
should N be?