* pop3-retr hanging
@ 1997-05-29 23:55 Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1997-05-29 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've had some problems this week with pop3.el, since I switched over
to the POP service of my M$ Exchange server.  After sending the RETR
request for *some* messages, emacs would hang hard.  After much
tracing and killing of emacses, monitoring network traffic, etc, it
looks like the accept-process-output in pop3-retr was hanging.

Can more stuff come from the POP server without accept-process-output
being called?  If so, it looks like there may be a race condition,
where the ".\r\n" is delivered after the re-search-forward, but before
the accept-process-output.

This quick hack got things working:  (accept-process-output process 1)

I *am* using emacs on an NT box (no flames, please).  Perhaps that is
the problem.

--
Joe Hildebrand
Senior Technical Architect

* Re: pop3-retr hanging
@ 1997-05-30  3:03 ` David Hedbor
From: David Hedbor @ 1997-05-30  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Hildebrand <hildjj@mindspring.com> writes:

> This quick hack got things working:  (accept-process-output process 1)
>
> I *am* using emacs on an NT box (no flames, please).  Perhaps that is
> the problem.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I also fixed it by adding a timeout.

--
Q:	What's hard going in and soft and sticky coming out?
A:	Chewing gum.