* Unread count not updated
@ 2019-04-05 15:34 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-05 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I am downloading email via pop into an nnmaildir group.  When I type "g"
in the group buffer, I see (in the mini-buffer) that some emails are
downloaded.  However, the unread number for the group does not change
from 0 (although a % sign is added sometimes or maybe every time).

If I enter the group (RET), no new emails are visible.  If, back in the
group buffer, I hit M-g, the count is updated to the correct number and
I can then enter the group and read my emails.  I don't understand this
behaviour which started happening in the past few days.

I'm tracking emacs-snapshot on Debian so the gnus is relatively
up-to-date.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.3 on Debian buster/sid

* Re: Unread count not updated
@ 2019-04-05 20:39 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-04-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> I am downloading email via pop into an nnmaildir group.  When I type "g"
> in the group buffer, I see (in the mini-buffer) that some emails are
> downloaded.  However, the unread number for the group does not change
> from 0 (although a % sign is added sometimes or maybe every time).

Could it be related to the recent hash-table changes? It sounds a little
like what Katsumi Yamaoka wrote about here:

 · https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=33653#134

> I'm tracking emacs-snapshot on Debian so the gnus is relatively
> up-to-date.

What's the newest commit included? Before or after:

  commit c1b63af4458e92bad33da0def2b15c206656e2fa
  Author: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
  Date:   Thu Apr 26 16:26:27 2018 -0700

      Change Gnus hash tables into real hash tables
?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Everything needs to change.                                 Adam Sjøgren
  And it has to start today."                            asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Unread count not updated
@ 2019-04-06  9:05   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-06  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday,  5 Apr 2019 at 22:39, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> Could it be related to the recent hash-table changes? It sounds a little
> like what Katsumi Yamaoka wrote about here:

I'd seen this but hadn't considered it as affecting me because I'd
(maybe mistakenly) assumed that a Debian package could have recompiled
all .el files. But I do note that this problem with my unread count does
not appear to happen on the one system I use where I have built emacs
directly from git.

>> I'm tracking emacs-snapshot on Debian so the gnus is relatively
>> up-to-date.
>
> What's the newest commit included? Before or after:
>
>   commit c1b63af4458e92bad33da0def2b15c206656e2fa
>   Author: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>   Date:   Thu Apr 26 16:26:27 2018 -0700

No idea. I'll explore. Thanks for the suggestion of the possible
source of this problem.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.2.2 on Debian 9.8

* Re: Unread count not updated
@ 2019-04-06  9:23     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2019-04-06  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> On Friday,  5 Apr 2019 at 22:39, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>> Could it be related to the recent hash-table changes? It sounds a little
>> like what Katsumi Yamaoka wrote about here:
>
> I'd seen this but hadn't considered it as affecting me because I'd
> (maybe mistakenly) assumed that a Debian package could have recompiled
> all .el files.

I would assume that as well, for what it is worth - but I think the bugs
Katsumi reported (around #133) are not related to the .elc's, but
changes in the code? (Something about converting one type of loop to
another?)

> But I do note that this problem with my unread count does not appear
> to happen on the one system I use where I have built emacs directly
> from git.

Ok, if that is from a new(er) git checkout than the Debian package, then
I'm afraid I'm just confusing things more :-)

I just thought it sounded like something not being updated, but...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2019-04-07 10:15       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-07 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday,  6 Apr 2019 at 11:23, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>> But I do note that this problem with my unread count does not appear
>> to happen on the one system I use where I have built emacs directly
>> from git.
>
> Ok, if that is from a new(er) git checkout than the Debian package, then
> I'm afraid I'm just confusing things more :-)

No, it was me confusing things.  The version I had on the other system
was older than the noted commit.  I will post a followup when I get more
info.

Thanks,
eric

--

@ 2019-04-08  9:43       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-08  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Adam,

So, I've built emacs from source and this appears to have solved the
problem (early days yet, mind you).

It has brought up a different problem regarding not being able to find
libxml-parse-html-region for reading some emails but I've posted to
emacs.help about this already.

Thanks,
eric

--

@ 2019-04-08 15:40         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-08 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  8 Apr 2019 at 10:43, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> So, I've built emacs from source and this appears to have solved the
> problem (early days yet, mind you).

I lied.  The problem persists.  May try reverting to older version.
--

@ 2019-04-09  2:47           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-04-09  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Monday,  8 Apr 2019 at 10:43, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> So, I've built emacs from source and this appears to have solved the
>> problem (early days yet, mind you).
>
> I lied.  The problem persists.  May try reverting to older version.

Would you try once more? I just pushed something to master that I hope
will fix the situation.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: Unread count not updated
@ 2019-04-10  6:13             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-10  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday,  8 Apr 2019 at 19:47, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Would you try once more? I just pushed something to master that I hope
> will fix the situation.

Tried yesterday and the problem seemed to persist.  I updated just now
and the problem seems to have gone away.  Maybe due to the inclusion of
the commit 6cb49922e63c2523ccdd6e0a6bd72bcfa72c50c6 (from 25 March)?
I'll test during the day and will get back if the problem reappears.

Thanks,
--

@ 2019-04-10 17:09               ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-04-10 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2019-04-11 13:32                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2019-04-11 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Well, anecdotally, the latest version of emacs (updated from git this
morning UK time) does better but the problem is not solved.  That is,
sometimes updating from the group buffer updates the unread number and
sometimes it doesn't.  I haven't quite figured out when it does or
doesn't.  Very strange.

--

@ 2019-06-22 10:48                   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-22 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

> Well, anecdotally, the latest version of emacs (updated from git this
> morning UK time) does better but the problem is not solved.  That is,
> sometimes updating from the group buffer updates the unread number and
> sometimes it doesn't.  I haven't quite figured out when it does or
> doesn't.  Very strange.

I think I've seen this, too -- I think it's when you have a
.newsrc.dribble file and then start Gnus, then (after the hash table
changes), the groups that are mentioned in that file never get their
(un)read count updated properly...