* nnimap sync problems
@ 2012-12-27 17:37 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2012-12-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

  Hello,

I have what appears to be sync problems when I read mails from different
devices. Here's a typical scenario:

I have a thread in a mailing-list specific Gnus group (nnimap / gmail)
with a couple of messages.

Then, I read my mail on my Android phone, and I see that the thread
continues. I manually update the labels (from the GMail app on Android)
to put the new messages in the appropriate group.

If I switch to Gnus back again, those new messages won't appear in the
group (neither in the INBOX), no matter what I do, like hitting `g',
`M-g' on the group itself etc.

The only thing I found that will make the messages appear again is to
switch to the phone, select them, mark them as unread and move them back
to INBOX. Then, hitting `g' will indeed have the whole conversation
appear again.

Any clues ?

--
ELS 2013, June 3/4, Madrid, Spain:  http://els2013.european-lisp-symposium.org

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

* Re: nnimap sync problems
@ 2012-12-28  7:55 ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2012-12-28  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Didier Verna writes:

>   Hello,
>
> I have what appears to be sync problems when I read mails from different
> devices. Here's a typical scenario:
>
> I have a thread in a mailing-list specific Gnus group (nnimap / gmail)
> with a couple of messages.
>
> Then, I read my mail on my Android phone, and I see that the thread
> continues. I manually update the labels (from the GMail app on Android)
> to put the new messages in the appropriate group.
>
> If I switch to Gnus back again, those new messages won't appear in the
> group (neither in the INBOX), no matter what I do, like hitting `g',
> `M-g' on the group itself etc.
>
> The only thing I found that will make the messages appear again is to
> switch to the phone, select them, mark them as unread and move them back
> to INBOX. Then, hitting `g' will indeed have the whole conversation
> appear again.
>

> Any clues ?

It happened to me — also with gmail on android — that sometimes I read a
message, and when later going to gnus, it is still unread.  I blame this
issue to a excessively lazy synchronization algorithm in the gmail
client.

Can you make sure you have synchronized the android client just before
disconnecting from it?

--
Alberto

* Re: nnimap sync problems
@ 2012-12-29 11:03   ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2012-12-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: ding

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> wrote:

> It happened to me — also with gmail on android — that sometimes I read
> a message, and when later going to gnus, it is still unread.

  That's not my situation. The message won't appear /at all/ in Gnus.

> I blame this issue to a excessively lazy synchronization algorithm in
> the gmail client.  Can you make sure you have synchronized the android
> client just before disconnecting from it?

  Unfortunately, the problem is elsewhere. I can verify that by going
  through the GMail web interface, and there I see my message properly
  threaded and in the right group (I mean, under the correct label).

  So it seems that the problem is in Gnus because the server has the
  correct information. Is there some kind of way to sort of force a
  resync of the whlole IMAP world ?

  FWIW, I also tried to sing "A Candle in the Wind" with the right thumb
  stuck in the nose, while making circles around the computer on one
  foot, but it doesn't work either.

--

@ 2012-12-29 17:05     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-12-29 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>   So it seems that the problem is in Gnus because the server has the
>   correct information. Is there some kind of way to sort of force a
>   resync of the whlole IMAP world ?

I think handles each nnimap group on the same server separately
wrt. syncing with the server.  I may be wrong, but from I read about
IMAP in the PDF file mentioned yesterday on this group, I think it has
to be that way.

But I may be wrong...?

(A full resync for a particular group, is done my M-g on that group, but
I guess you know that...?)

* Re: nnimap sync problems
@ 2012-12-30 11:00       ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2012-12-30 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

> (A full resync for a particular group, is done my M-g on that group,
> but I guess you know that...?)

  Yup. Doesn't work either. And FWIW, today I had to restart my
  computer, fire up a brand new Emacs / Gnus session, and the problem
  remains...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-31 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Luaces; +Cc: ding

Didier Verna <didier@xemacs.org> writes:

>   Unfortunately, the problem is elsewhere. I can verify that by going
>   through the GMail web interface, and there I see my message properly
>   threaded and in the right group (I mean, under the correct label).

Does Gmail propagate this information to the IMAP interface, though?
That's the question.

* Re: nnimap sync problems
@ 2013-11-04 14:46 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2013-11-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus Beta Testers

  Hi,

as I still have this problem everyday, lemme just ask again ;-)

I wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> I have what appears to be sync problems when I read mails from different
> devices. Here's a typical scenario:
>
> I have a thread in a mailing-list specific Gnus group (nnimap / gmail)
> with a couple of messages.
>
> Then, I read my mail on my Android phone, and I see that the thread
> continues. I manually update the labels (from the GMail app on Android)
> to put the new messages in the appropriate group.
>
> If I switch to Gnus back again, those new messages won't appear in the
> group (neither in the INBOX), no matter what I do, like hitting `g',
> `M-g' on the group itself etc.
>
> The only thing I found that will make the messages appear again is to
> switch to the phone, select them, mark them as unread and move them back
> to INBOX. Then, hitting `g' will indeed have the whole conversation
> appear again.

  Is there at least a way to force Gnus to re-sync a group, or the whole
  imap world (even if it takes time) ?

Thanks.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info

* Re: nnimap sync problems
@ 2013-11-04 17:18   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-11-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>   Is there at least a way to force Gnus to re-sync a group, or the
>   whole imap world (even if it takes time) ?

For a single group `M-g' is supposed to do that... I don't know why that
doesn't do the trick for you.

Previously this could have been because gnus had its own mark behaviour,
but I think that currently it's more or less aligned.  OTOH... I don't
use other MUAs much...

(so I didn't have musch to bring to the table, but at least you know
someone was reading your messages)