From: sigurd@12move.de (Karl Pflästerer)
Subject: Re: [Patch] FAQ in texinfo format
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:14:02 +0200	[thread overview]

On 20 Apr 2003, Steinar Bang <- sb@dod.no wrote:

>> Well I can only speak for me but if I wanted to add something to the
>> faq it would be a lot easier if it was in texi than in xml (insert
>> your most favourite rant here). So IMO it would be better to switch
>> the master version to texi.

> I think it would be wrong to dictate a volunteer's choice of tools.

Me too, but I didn't dictate anything.  I only wrote my opinion
concerning Kais sugestion *if* the maintainer would like to switch the
format what others think about it.

> Also, there's a lot more "happening" with DocBook XML, than with
> TeXinfo.  DocBook XML is a great master source to generate other
> formats from.  Not because it's XML.  That's coincidental.  But

Please don't let us start a xml pro con flame here. I don't like xml
because I think it has gone the wrong way (especially lispers should
know better how to write markup usings sexps) (I think Erik naggum wrote
on cll some time ago an excellent article concerning xml, but I don't
have the m-id).

But you are right. it is the maintainers choice. He does the work he can
choose how it is most convenient for him.

> But I agree the DocBook XML source for the FAQ should be in CVS,
> perferrably with synchronized checkins of the generated TeXinfo file
> (never check in one and not the other).

If the xml file should also in future be the source I agree with you.

bye
   KP

--
Increasingly, people seem to misinterpret complexity as
sophistication, which is baffling -- the incomprehensible should cause