From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
Cc: faq-discuss@my.gnus.org, gnus-tutorial@socha.net
Subject: Re: [Patch] FAQ in texinfo format
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:07:56 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 22 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:
>
>> Is putting it under Appendix really a good idea? It's quite hidden
>> there.

ACK.  The old version of the FAQ has been there, so I though that the
new version should be placed there too.

>> What was wrong with having it as a seperate info file?
> Let's put it in a more prominent place,

ACK.

> but in the general Gnus info file.

I'm not sure.

> There are so many info files for Gnus, people don't read them anyway
> :-( Gnus, Message, Emacs-MIME come to mind at least.

... and Sieve and PGG.  But as we have menu items for those in (info
"(gnus)Top") under "Other related manuals", it should be more easy to
find them.

I guess we cannot include the manuals for message etc. into gnus.texi,
because those are libraries, that are supposed to be independent of
Gnus.  This argument doesn't hold for the Gnus FAQ.

Instead of putting the FAQ as a @section in the "@chapter Appendices",
it could be a @chapter, included e.g. before "@chapter Appendices".
When included in `gnus.texi', we must take care not to have duplicate
node names (this is why I prepended "FAQ").

If we choose the `separate info file' approach, we need to add links
to the FAQ under "Other related manuals".  And, as @menu is invisible
in dvi/ps/pdf output, we should add some hints in the printed versions
too (also for Message, Emacs-MIME, Sieve, PGG).  We can revert
gnus-faq.texi to Frank's version (revision 6.9) then, but we need to
fix gnus.texi[1].

Aside from the Gnus FAQ, there may be other documents to be
distributed along with Gnus, so we should come to some kind of general
guidelines, how to include (or refer to) those documents:

- Translations of docs to non-English languages, e.g. Xavier
  Maillard's French docs.

- The Gnus Tutorial: It's development seems to be stalled.  But
  anyhow, I think after some minor fixes, we should add it to the Gnus
  distribution.  Contributions and corrections welcome! [2]

[ Cc: faq-discuss@my.gnus.org, gnus-tutorial@socha.net ]

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
./gnus-faq.texi:11: Node `Top' previously defined at line 380.
./gnus-faq.texi:12: Node with @top as a section already exists.
./gnus.texi:380: Here is the @top node.
./gnus.texi:26513: Next reference to nonexistent node
  `Frequently Asked Questions' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
./gnus.texi:380: Node `Top' lacks menu item for
  `Introduction' despite being its Up target.
./gnus.texi:380: Node `Top' lacks menu item for
  `Frequently Asked Questions with Answers' despite being its Up target.
./gnus.texi:380: Node `Top' lacks menu item for
  `Glossary' despite being its Up target.
./gnus.texi:23097: Menu reference to nonexistent node
  `Frequently Asked Questions' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
./gnus.texi:872: Cross reference to nonexistent node
  `Frequently Asked Questions' (perhaps incorrect sectioning?).
makeinfo: Removing output file `gnus' due to errors; use --force to preserve.

[2]
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gnus login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/gnus co gnus-tutorial
--