* Gnus manual scoring tips
@ 1998-08-03 17:25 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trying to develope some more sophisticated score files and making
heavy use of Gnus info "Advanced Soring".  I've attempted to take a
few of Lars humerous examples  "Advanced Scoring Tips" and rework them
for my own use, but was not able to get the syntax so that Gnus would
except it on a score file.

Thinking I was botching the job some how syntactically I tried
inserting some of the examples by cut and paste.  Every single example
in 'Advanced Scoring Examples' gets rejected with an error message
about an illegal element.

Inserting these examples in Summary Mode with 'V e' (edit score file)
produces these messages:

This example from Advanced Scoring Examples
 ((&
   ("from" "Lars Ingebrigtsen")
   (|
    ("subject" "Gnus")
    ("lines" 100 >)))
  1000)

Produces this message when inserted from summary buffer with 'V e':

C-c C-c to save edits
Wrote /home/dj/News/comp.emacs.xemacs.SCORE
Illegal score element 1000 in /home/dj/News/comp.emacs.xemacs.SCORE

This one:
 ((&
       ("from" "Lars Ingebrigtsen")
       (1- ("from" "Reig Eigir Logge")))
      -100000)

Produces this message:

Wrote /home/dj/News/comp.emacs.xemacs.SCORE
Illegal score element -100000 in /home/dj/News/comp.emacs.xemacs.SCORE
C-c C-c to save edits

I couldn't get any where attempting to get a score phrase that says:

Add score of 1 (my default) to all followups to a list of authors:

Using the example below from Advanced Examples, I've attempted to
rework it to do the above.

*    Everybody that follows up Redmondo when he writes about disappearing
* socks should have their scores raised, but only when they talk about
* white socks.  However, when Lars talks about socks, it's usually not
* very interesting:
*
*      ((&
* 	 (1-
* 	  (&
* 	   ("from" "redmondo@.*no" r)
* 	   ("body" "disappearing.*socks" t)))
* 	 (! ("from" "Lars Ingebrigtsen"))
* 	 ("body" "white.*socks"))
* 	1000)
*

My renditions try to say:  Score 1 on followups to Lars and Kai on
any subject, but not from Harry.

       ((&
 	 (1-
 	  (&
 	   ("from" "lars\|kai")
           ("subject" "" nil nil s)))
         (! ("from" "harry"))
           ("subject" "" nil nil s))
 	1)

*************

       ((&
 	 (1-
 	  (&
 	   ("from" "lars )
 	   ("from" "kai")
           ("subject" "" nil nil s)))
         (! ("from" "harry"))
           ("subject" "" nil nil s))
 	1)

These give the same message of illegal score element of 1.
Eliminating that line and adding a paren to the line above allows
the file to be saved with no messages but no scoring happens.

What needs changing?

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Gnus manual scoring tips
@ 1998-08-03 19:23 ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-08-03 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This example from Advanced Scoring Examples
>  ((&
>    ("from" "Lars Ingebrigtsen")
>    (|
>     ("subject" "Gnus")
>     ("lines" 100 >)))
>   1000)
>
> Produces this message when inserted from summary buffer with 'V e':
>
> C-c C-c to save edits
> Wrote /home/dj/News/comp.emacs.xemacs.SCORE
> Illegal score element 1000 in /home/dj/News/comp.emacs.xemacs.SCORE

  Looks like you've been `bracketed' :-). If you're inserting the
examples as is from the manual, with nothing else in your score file,
then you need to add an opening and a closing parenthesis around the
whole lot.

  The score file is a list of lists. The examples are just one of
these lists and require enclosing in in the list that constitutes the
`score' alist as a whole.

  `M-x paren-set-mode' is a must for me when working with all these
bracket thingies.

--
Mike.

* Re: Gnus manual scoring tips
@ 1998-08-04  2:32   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-04  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

>   Looks like you've been `bracketed' :-). If you're inserting the
> examples as is from the manual, with nothing else in your score file,
> then you need to add an opening and a closing parenthesis around the
> whole lot.
>
>   The score file is a list of lists. The examples are just one of
> these lists and require enclosing in in the list that constitutes the
> `score' alist as a whole.
>
>   `M-x paren-set-mode' is a must for me when working with all these
> bracket thingies.

Bracketed mutilated and skewered  : )

That was a very good tip --  thanks

M-x paren-<spc> on my setup shows [no-match]
An 's' search from the top of Emacs Info on 'paren-set-mode' shows no
hits either.
I guess you mean 'show-paren-mode'

Yes, that is nice but unless you already knew it needed another set of
parens ( ie if I had a little more lisp savvy) its not much different
than the blinking paren thing that is apparently a default. (on emacs-20.2)
Maybe just named different on your Xemacs

I should have spotted it on the other score files I have but it sailed
right by me.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com