* browse-url vs. w3
@ 2001-02-23  7:42 Joe Hildebrand
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 2001-02-23  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

When w3 renders an article, (either because someone sent HTML, or
because the group is an HTML thing like nnslashdot) URL links get
followed by w3 when clicked on.

Anyone know of a way to get browse-url to handle those widgets
instead?  It's nice of w3 to do the rendering and all, but it's not,
ummm... my favorite browser.

--
Joe Hildebrand

* Re: browse-url vs. w3
@ 2001-02-23 10:52 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I have bound `C-c w' to do browse-url-netscape, and I just put point
on the URL and hit that key.  Works nicely.

Welcome back, Joe.
kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: browse-url vs. w3
@ 2001-02-23 13:10   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2001-02-23 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have bound `C-c w' to do browse-url-netscape, and I just put point
> on the URL and hit that key.  Works nicely.

But you don't _see_ the actual URL in HTML message, you just see the
link text.  I don't see how 'browse-url-netscape' can help there.

You would need some W3 hack.

* Re: browse-url vs. w3
@ 2001-02-23 17:20 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 2001-02-23 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Joe Hildebrand <joe@cursive.net> writes:

> When w3 renders an article, (either because someone sent HTML, or
> because the group is an HTML thing like nnslashdot) URL links get
> followed by w3 when clicked on.
>
> Anyone know of a way to get browse-url to handle those widgets instead?
> It's nice of w3 to do the rendering and all, but it's not, ummm... my
> favorite browser.

Hehehe - no offense taken. :)  I sent a patch to the list a long time ago
to make w3 use browse-url instead of directly calling w3-fetch, but I don't
know if I have it any more.  It is probably in the list archives.

-bp

* Re: browse-url vs. w3
@ 2001-02-23 18:21     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-02-23 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 23 Feb 2001, Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> But you don't _see_ the actual URL in HTML message

Silly me.

kai
--

@ 2001-12-31  2:55 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Hildebrand <joe@cursive.net> writes:

> When w3 renders an article, (either because someone sent HTML, or
> because the group is an HTML thing like nnslashdot) URL links get
> followed by w3 when clicked on.
>
> Anyone know of a way to get browse-url to handle those widgets
> instead?

The following code from Bill works for me:

(eval-after-load "w3"
  '(progn
    (fset 'w3-fetch-orig (symbol-function 'w3-fetch))
    (defun w3-fetch (&optional url target)
      (interactive (list (w3-read-url-with-default)))
      (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-article-mode)
	  (browse-url-netscape url t)
	(w3-fetch-orig url target)))))

It seems to be a FAQ, so perhaps I should put this in the manual?