* group names starting with digits
@ 1999-04-18 12:00 Uwe Geuder
From: Uwe Geuder @ 1999-04-18 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Our company internal newsgroup names start with numbers, like

   1.foo.bar
   2.more.stuff

Emacs 20.3's standard gnus (Gnus v5.5; nntp 5.0; nnvirtual 1.1; nnmh
1.0; nndraft 1.0) gets completely confused about this. nntp.el
interprets the group names as NNTP response codes, doesn't wait long
enough for the last responses and finally parses completely wrong
group status info.

This was mentioned earlier on this list:

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: 08 Sep 1997 13:07:38 +0200
>
> jdc@math.jhu.edu (Dan Christensen) writes:
>
>>   Is there some reason that a group named 110.615 or 12345 should
>> be visible even when it has no ticked or unread messages?

> Groups with all-numerical names are poison.

Having had a look at nntp.el I'd say it's in fact bad enough if the
group name starts with a digit.

Has anybody made a fix for that? It shouldn't be too difficult, but
after 7 years without programming elisp I might not get it right on
the first attempt... There seem to numerous places that need a change.

Yes, I've checked pgnus-0.82 and the problematic code is still
unmodified.

Regards,

Uwe

* Re: group names starting with digits
@ 1999-04-18 13:56 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-04-18 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ unknown glowing substance which fell to

* Re: group names starting with digits
@ 1999-04-18 18:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-18 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Uwe Geuder" <uwe_geuder@hotmail.com> writes:

> Having had a look at nntp.el I'd say it's in fact bad enough if the
> group name starts with a digit.

[...]

> Yes, I've checked pgnus-0.82 and the problematic code is still
> unmodified.

What code is problematic?  Point, and I'll fix.  :-)

* Re: group names starting with digits
@ 1999-04-18 18:03   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-18 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> AFAIK, these names are illegal.  Newfroup name parts start with alphabetic
> characers.  Ie, foo1.bar and more2.stuff are legal, but foo.1 is not.

It's not invalid to have group names that start with numbers (I
think), but it's highly, highly discouraged to have group that have
components that are numeric-only, like something.42.other and the
like.  But Gnus should grok them, I think.

* Re: group names starting with digits
@ 1999-04-19 13:36     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 1999-04-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover