* smtpmail note to self: Better error reporting
@ 2011-05-30 21:30 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-30 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I just tried to send a bunch of email, and it failed with this
particularly unhelpful error:

smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

Switching on tracing gave me this:

Process SMTP deleted
220 smtp.getmail.no -- Server ESMTP (getmail).
EHLO quimbies.gnus.org.
250-smtp.getmail.no.
250-8BITMIME.
250-PIPELINING.
250-CHUNKING.
250-DSN.
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES.
250-HELP.
250-XLOOP 0BBBC1B324F7F106F50C4CE51ADCB62E.
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN.
250-AUTH=LOGIN.
250-ETRN.
250-NO-SOLICITING.
250 SIZE 0.
MAIL FROM:<larsi@gnus.org> SIZE=1362.
250 2.5.0 Address and options OK..
RCPT TO:<Test>.
550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: Test.
QUIT.
221 2.3.0 Bye received. Goodbye..

So when I start hacking into smtpmail (which Emacs will use by default
on Linux machines in Emacs 24), I'd better make sure it has better error
reporting than this.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-05-30 21:30 UTC | newest]