* C-w in summary when the region is not active
@ 1999-04-18 18:28 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-04-18 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In the summary buffer, wouldn't it be nice if on C-w gnus marked the
message under the point as "read" if nothing was marked, instead of
telling about the region which is not active?

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: C-w in summary when the region is not active
@ 1999-04-18 18:31 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-04-18 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> In the summary buffer, wouldn't it be nice if on C-w gnus marked the
> message under the point as "read" if nothing was marked, instead of
> telling about the region which is not active?

That would make that function behave different than anything else in
XEmacs?  If you want to mark the current message, why don't you just
press `d'?

* Re: C-w in summary when the region is not active
@ 1999-04-18 18:33 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-18 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> In the summary buffer, wouldn't it be nice if on C-w gnus marked the
> message under the point as "read" if nothing was marked, instead of
> telling about the region which is not active?

Well, that's not how `C-w' works on normal text.  But perhaps one
shouldn't go overboard with the analogy to the kill-region command...

* Re: C-w in summary when the region is not active
@ 1999-04-19 19:53   ` Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 1999-04-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> wrote:

> Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:
>
> > In the summary buffer, wouldn't it be nice if on C-w gnus marked the
> > message under the point as "read" if nothing was marked, instead of
> > telling about the region which is not active?
>
> That would make that function behave different than anything else in
> XEmacs?  If you want to mark the current message, why don't you just
> press `d'?

Of course I can press 'd'. But for me it seemed natural that the 'mark
selected as read' command would mark the current message if none were
selected. Probably because I never use C-w in my editing (coming from
"PC background" :) I use C/S-ins and C-del for cut/copy/paste
operations, I didn't even know what it did outside Gnus till now,
hence the consistency of its behavior was lost on me... But I still
think that what I suggested makes sense, and is intuitive. Besides,
marking articles as read and killing a region are not the same
activities anyway, so the fact that C-w kills the region in normal
editing is not more than just a helpful way to remember what it does
while reading news. And, why do I have to remember 2 different keys
(C-w and d) whereas one should be more than enough? Of course, all
above is MHO.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.