* Question: using split-fancy to forward
@ 1998-04-27 17:21 Loren Schall
From: Loren Schall @ 1998-04-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From my reading of the documentation, I though that I could create a
split-fancy rule which would forward the message to another address. It
doesn't seem to work the way I think it does. If (as the documentation
describes) a split-fancy user-defined-function is called with the
message to be filed in the current buffer, narrowed to the headers, I
should be able to widen and call message-resend, right? Here's my
function:

  (defun my-nnmail-split-fancy-forward (addr &optional split)
    (save-restriction
      (widen)
      (message-resend addr))
    (or split
        'junk))

The split looks something like:

  (: my-nnmail-split-fancy-forward
     "Loren.Schall@cas.honeywell.com" mail.forw)

This doesn't work. The message I receive at the forwarded address is
empty (just the headers). It seems my widen isn't working. Or am I
misunderstanding how this is suppose to work? Any suggestions on how to
get this to work would be welcome.

--
Loren Schall
schall@ateng.az.honeywell.com

* Re: Question: using split-fancy to forward
@ 1998-04-28  1:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-28  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Loren Schall <schall@ateng.az.honeywell.com> writes:

>   (defun my-nnmail-split-fancy-forward (addr &optional split)
>     (save-restriction
>       (widen)
>       (message-resend addr))
>     (or split
>         'junk))
>
> The split looks something like:
>
>   (: my-nnmail-split-fancy-forward
>      "Loren.Schall@cas.honeywell.com" mail.forw)
>
> This doesn't work. The message I receive at the forwarded address is
> empty (just the headers). It seems my widen isn't working.

The splitting is done in a buffer that is narrowed to the headers of
the message, but that doesn't mean that there is anything of worth
outside of the narrowed region.  :-)  The " *nnmail incoming*" buffer
holds the actual mails.