* Apparent quadratic behavior during mail fetching
@ 2017-03-29 20:43 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2017-03-29 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

With Debian stretch's Enmcs 25.1.1, Gnus 5.13, I see what seems to be
quadratic behavior when processing incoming mail.

My mail-sources setting in ~/.gnus looks like this:

(setq mail-sources
      `((directory :path ,(expand-file-name "~/Mail/INCOMING")
                   :suffix "")))

I see many, many stat system calls for the files in that directory.
It looks like the entire directory is reprocessed for each file
contained in it.

I use

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

as the mail storage backend.

Does this ring a bell?  If not, I'll try to find the root cause.

* Re: Apparent quadratic behavior during mail fetching
@ 2019-03-18 14:34 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-03-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

* Florian Weimer:

> With Debian stretch's Enmcs 25.1.1, Gnus 5.13, I see what seems to be
> quadratic behavior when processing incoming mail.
>
> My mail-sources setting in ~/.gnus looks like this:
>
> (setq mail-sources
>       `((directory :path ,(expand-file-name "~/Mail/INCOMING")
>                    :suffix "")))
>
> I see many, many stat system calls for the files in that directory.
> It looks like the entire directory is reprocessed for each file
> contained in it.
>
> I use
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))
>
> as the mail storage backend.
>
> Does this ring a bell?  If not, I'll try to find the root cause.

It turns out that this:

(setq nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once t)

fixes it (in Emacs 26.1 at least).

* Re: Apparent quadratic behavior during mail fetching
@ 2019-06-22 10:44   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-22 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: ding

>> With Debian stretch's Enmcs 25.1.1, Gnus 5.13, I see what seems to be
>> quadratic behavior when processing incoming mail.
>>
>> My mail-sources setting in ~/.gnus looks like this:
>>
>> (setq mail-sources
>>       `((directory :path ,(expand-file-name "~/Mail/INCOMING")
>>                    :suffix "")))
>>
>> I see many, many stat system calls for the files in that directory.
>> It looks like the entire directory is reprocessed for each file
>> contained in it.

[...]

> It turns out that this:
>
> (setq nnmail-scan-directory-mail-source-once t)
>
> fixes it (in Emacs 26.1 at least).

Perhaps that should be the default?  I'm not familiar with that part of
the code -- what are the upsides/downsides?