* challenge: side-posting (side-quoting)
@ 2011-05-09 13:26 Ted Zlatanov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-05-09 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rather than explain it in detail, I'll just post an example:

On Fri, 06 May 2011 14:14:55 -0400 Jon Du Kim <jondk@FAKE.EMAIL.net> wrote:

JDK> Keep up the good	     | I am going to side-post now.
JDK> fight. Eventually I am  |
JDK> sure you and the other  | It certainly seems more effective than
JDK> mouth breathing mutants | debating this kind of nonsense.
JDK> here will turn the tide |
JDK> in the war against top  | Plus, it will annoy *everyone*.
JDK> posting.  I am sure     |
JDK> you'll win in the end.  | Ted

What do you guys think, is this possible with Gnus?  I'd love to make it
my default posting style on comp.lang.perl.misc for a bit.

Ted

* Re: challenge: side-posting (side-quoting)
@ 2011-05-09 18:04 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-05-09 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, May 09 2011,Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Rather than explain it in detail, I'll just post an example:
>
> On Fri, 06 May 2011 14:14:55 -0400 Jon Du Kim <jondk@FAKE.EMAIL.net> wrote:
>
> JDK> Keep up the good	     | I am going to side-post now.

[snipped 7 lines]

> What do you guys think, is this possible with Gnus?  I'd love to make it
> my default posting style on comp.lang.perl.misc for a bit.

[snipped 5 lines]

As a point against top posting supporters,nice, if they get the hint,
that is.  As a regular post, if it's not monospaced fonts, you might
look silly.

Come to think of it, even trying to prove a point against top posting,
if it's not monospaced, you're probably going to land in everyone's
kill file.  friend or foe,alike. :-)

 sivaram

* Re: challenge: side-posting (side-quoting)
@ 2011-05-09 19:46 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-05-09 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> JDK> Keep up the good	     | I am going to side-post now.
> JDK> fight. Eventually I am  |
> JDK> sure you and the other  | It certainly seems more effective than
> JDK> mouth breathing mutants | debating this kind of nonsense.
> JDK> here will turn the tide |
> JDK> in the war against top  | Plus, it will annoy *everyone*.
> JDK> posting.  I am sure     |
> JDK> you'll win in the end.  | Ted
>
> What do you guys think, is this possible with Gnus?

You might be able to hack something together using org-mode tables.  But
AFAIK, those cannot have cells spanning several rows...

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: challenge: side-posting (side-quoting)
@ 2011-05-09 20:07   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-05-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 09 May 2011 23:34:12 +0530 Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> wrote:

SN> On Mon, May 09 2011,Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Rather than explain it in detail, I'll just post an example:
>>
>> On Fri, 06 May 2011 14:14:55 -0400 Jon Du Kim <jondk@FAKE.EMAIL.net> wrote:
>>
JDK> Keep up the good	     | I am going to side-post now.

SN> [snipped 7 lines]

>> What do you guys think, is this possible with Gnus?  I'd love to make it
>> my default posting style on comp.lang.perl.misc for a bit.

SN> [snipped 5 lines]

SN> As a point against top posting supporters,nice, if they get the hint,
SN> that is.  As a regular post, if it's not monospaced fonts, you might
SN> look silly.

Oh, I'm not worried about *that* :)

SN> Come to think of it, even trying to prove a point against top posting,
SN> if it's not monospaced, you're probably going to land in everyone's
SN> kill file.  friend or foe,alike. :-)

It's just a technical challenge to me, I wouldn't use it seriously,
though it's very tempting if the top-vs-bottom-quoting debate starts
again here.

@ 2011-05-30 20:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-30 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> JDK> in the war against top  | Plus, it will annoy *everyone*.
> JDK> posting.  I am sure     |
> JDK> you'll win in the end.  | Ted
>
> What do you guys think, is this possible with Gnus?  I'd love to make it
> my default posting style on comp.lang.perl.misc for a bit.

Well, if you put the text in an HTML table, like

and then point shr at it, it'll render it like that, and you can post
it.  :-)

* Re: challenge: side-posting (side-quoting)
@ 2011-05-31  9:48   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-05-31  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:24:57 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Well, if you put the text in an HTML table, like

LMI> and then point shr at it, it'll render it like that, and you can post
LMI> it.  :-)

Oh, that's clever.  Can shr transform a HTML snippet instead of a whole
HTML body?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-05-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Oh, that's clever.  Can shr transform a HTML snippet instead of a whole
> HTML body?

Sure.  Just point `libxml-parse-html-region' at an HTML snippet and then
feed the resulting DOM to `shr-insert-document'.