* switching one's archive from nnfolder to nnml
@ 2010-10-18 21:13 James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-10-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

After the recent posts, I decided to switch my archives from nnfolder to nnml.

I'd like to tranfer the current contents, too.

Has anyone written any code to split nnfolder archives and/or
mbox-format fcc files into nnml archive groups?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: switching one's archive from nnfolder to nnml
@ 2010-10-18 22:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-18 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> Has anyone written any code to split nnfolder archives and/or
> mbox-format fcc files into nnml archive groups?

Well, you could sort of do it from inside Gnus and just move articles
from nnfolder groups to nnml groups.  But it's probably easier just to
write a small Perl script.  I mean, you just have to split the files at
the "\nFrom ..." lines.

* Re: switching one's archive from nnfolder to nnml
@ 2010-10-18 23:19   ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-10-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Has anyone written any code to split nnfolder archives and/or
>> mbox-format fcc files into nnml archive groups?

LMI> Well, you could sort of do it from inside Gnus and just move articles
LMI> from nnfolder groups to nnml groups.  But it's probably easier just to
LMI> write a small Perl script.  I mean, you just have to split the files at
LMI> the "\nFrom ..." lines.

What should I do with the *.nov and *.mrk files?

-JimC

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-18 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> What should I do with the *.nov and *.mrk files?

I think `nnfolder-generate-active-file' takes care of the nov and active
files, but the .mrk files will probably need some work.  Or just copying
over from the nnml directories to the nnfolder ones; I don't know
whether they share the format.

* Re: switching one's archive from nnfolder to nnml
@ 2010-10-19 16:03       ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-10-19 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

JC> What should I do with the *.nov and *.mrk files?

LMI> I think `nnfolder-generate-active-file' takes care of the nov and active
LMI> files, but the .mrk files will probably need some work.  Or just copying
LMI> over from the nnml directories to the nnfolder ones; I don't know
LMI> whether they share the format.

I'm moving in the other order.  Should I do anything with the existing *.nov
and *.mrk files when generating nnml from the nnfolder?

And, after splitting the nnfolder groups into file-per-message, is there an
easy way to create the .overview files?

-JimC
--

@ 2010-10-19 18:23         ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-10-19 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> And, after splitting the nnfolder groups into file-per-message, is there an
> easy way to create the .overview files?

(nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory DIR &optional SEEN NO-ACTIVE)

Regenerate the NOV database in DIR.

Unless no-active is non-nil, update the active file too.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: switching one's archive from nnfolder to nnml
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-19 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> I'm moving in the other order.  Should I do anything with the existing *.nov
> and *.mrk files when generating nnml from the nnfolder?

I don't think so.

> And, after splitting the nnfolder groups into file-per-message, is there an
> easy way to create the .overview files?

`M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases'

* Re: switching one's archive from nnfolder to nnml
@ 2010-10-19 18:29           ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2010-10-19 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: ding

JC> And, after splitting the nnfolder groups into file-per-message, is there an
JC easy way to create the .overview files?

AS> (nnml-generate-nov-databases-directory DIR &optional SEEN NO-ACTIVE)
AS> Regenerate the NOV database in DIR.

Ah.  Perfect.  Thanks!

-JimC
--