* topics are opening automatically - blecch
@ 2001-12-01  5:54 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2001-12-01  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 21.1.50.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2001-11-29 on
seton, Oort Gnus v0.04 (cvs from Thursday).

I use topics to organize things in the Group buffer, and I like to
keep them all closed all the time, except the topic I'm currently in.

The problem is that when groups get new mail via respooling, their
topics automatically open to display only those groups.  No other
groups in that topic are displayed.  Say I'm respooling a bunch of
messages from a group and they get split into a bunch of other groups.
After the dust settles, all the target groups (and only those groups)
are now visible in their opened topics.  This drives me up the wall.
I want it to stop.  When I close a topic, I want it to *stay closed*
until I open it by hand.

Any suggestions about what's going on (other than my
anal-retentiveness in email reading)?  I didn't find any likely
suspects in the lisp Changelog, and it's been happening for <mumble> a
few months or something.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: topics are opening automatically - blecch
@ 2001-12-29  2:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> The problem is that when groups get new mail via respooling, their
> topics automatically open to display only those groups.  No other
> groups in that topic are displayed.  Say I'm respooling a bunch of
> messages from a group and they get split into a bunch of other groups.
> After the dust settles, all the target groups (and only those groups)
> are now visible in their opened topics.  This drives me up the wall.
> I want it to stop.  When I close a topic, I want it to *stay closed*
> until I open it by hand.

I seem to remember somebody adding code to make it behave this way --
I don't think it used to...  Perhaps it should be made customizable?
Anybody remembers?