* Slashdot maintenance
@ 1999-12-04 16:37 Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-12-04 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

After I read all of the messages in a Slashdot group (or as many as I
can bear to :-) I usually do a "catchup all" so the group isn't
displayed anymore.  But these empty groups are still being saved in my
.newsrc.eld file, and it's getting bigger.  For regular newsgroups
this is fine, but slashdot topics eventually end...it'd be nice if
slashdot groups could automagically expire or otherwise disappear
completely after a period of time.

What do other people think about this?

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul       /\/  "i've said many, many, many unkind things about
emerick@cs.bu.edu   /\/   philadelphia, and i meant every one of them."
----------------------------------------------------------- david lynch

* Re: Slashdot maintenance
@ 2000-04-21 21:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> After I read all of the messages in a Slashdot group (or as many as I
> can bear to :-) I usually do a "catchup all" so the group isn't
> displayed anymore.  But these empty groups are still being saved in my
> .newsrc.eld file, and it's getting bigger.  For regular newsgroups
> this is fine, but slashdot topics eventually end...it'd be nice if
> slashdot groups could automagically expire or otherwise disappear
> completely after a period of time.

Hm.  I just have them in a topic of their own, and once in a while I
process-mark that topic and run `M-x gnus-group-delete-groups' on
them.  Works fer me.