* Reading Ding in Gnus
@ 2000-01-19 19:57 Rui-Tao Dong
From: Rui-Tao Dong @ 2000-01-19 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm behind a firewall with only a web proxy.  Is there anyway to read
Ding list with Gnus?  I have been reading a few lists from
www.mail-archive.com and news groups from Deja.

--
Regards,

	Rui-Tao Dong			Newport Corporation
	rdong@newport.com		1791 Deere Avenue
	(949)253-1679(Voice)		Irvine, CA 92606 USA
	(949)253-1240(Fax)		http://www.newport.com

* Re: Reading Ding in Gnus
@ 2000-01-19 20:52 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-19 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Well, you can subscribe to the mailing list; that's what I do...

If you can use telnet or ssh to an intermediary machine, then connect
to the ding news server from there, you can configure Gnus such that
it does that.

kai

* Re: Reading Ding in Gnus
@ 2000-01-19 21:18   ` Rui-Tao Dong
From: Rui-Tao Dong @ 2000-01-19 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Kai.Grossjohann> Well, you can subscribe to the mailing list; that's
 Kai.Grossjohann> what I do...

I haven't figured out how to make Gnus to talk to MS Exchange Server
(pop & imap don't work.)

 Kai.Grossjohann> If you can use telnet or ssh to an intermediary
 Kai.Grossjohann> machine, then connect to the ding news server from
 Kai.Grossjohann> there, you can configure Gnus such that it does
 Kai.Grossjohann> that.

I have ssh running on my home Firewall (on cable modem).
Unfortunately, I have no way of talking to it from work.  The only
thing I can do at work is to go through a web proxy (squid 2.2).  I
can get the archive from UH via FTP.  However, ange-ftp (efs) doesn't
work through proxy, so that I can't do an archive group or a doc
group.

Am I the only person in this boat?

--

@ 2000-01-19 22:50     ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-01-19 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rui-Tao Dong <rdong@newport.com> writes:

> I haven't figured out how to make Gnus to talk to MS Exchange Server
> (pop & imap don't work.)

Tell your sysadmins to turn on pop or imap.  MS Exchange server will
do it, but it has to be turned on.

> I have ssh running on my home Firewall (on cable modem).
> Unfortunately, I have no way of talking to it from work.

If you can convince your sysadmin to open outbound ssh (which is about
as far from a security risk as can be), you can either redirect ports,
or set up a PPP tunnel.  That's what I do here at work... anything I
want outside the firewall, I set up a route through the PPPoSSH.  This
assumes some Unix, of course.

It's all in the mind, ya know.

* Re: Reading Ding in Gnus
@ 2000-01-24 19:57       ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2000-01-24 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you can convince your sysadmin to open outbound ssh (which is
> about as far from a security risk as can be), you can either
> redirect ports, or set up a PPP tunnel.

Was there a smiley missing?  That PPP tunnel is a complete subversion
of the firewall.  I suspect the original correspondent's firewall
administrator would take a dim view of such use.  Port forwards from
inside -> out are less risky to corporate security but if one is going
to use them, I'd suggest one make sure that such use doesn't violate
explicit corporate policy, which in most companies, is not the same as
the firewall configuration rules.  Unless one doesn't give a damn
about one's employer's fortunes (and one's employment).
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B325\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Reading Ding in Gnus
@ 2000-01-24 20:22         ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-01-24 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

dsg@mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> > If you can convince your sysadmin to open outbound ssh (which is
> > about as far from a security risk as can be), you can either
> > redirect ports, or set up a PPP tunnel.
>
> Was there a smiley missing?  That PPP tunnel is a complete subversion
> of the firewall.

No, it's not.  My PPP tunnel won't allow anything into the network,
and my machine won't packets to it.  All it does is let me contact
certain services that our firewall blocks.  If you view a firewall as
a tool to prevent use of services by people inside it, yes, I'm
undermining it.  If you view a firewall as a tool to protect against
outside intruders, I'm not "completely subverting" the firewall.

Now I hear you saying "Why would the firewall administrator block
outgoing POP if he didn't care if you used it?"  Good question, which
is why I asked him.  He didn't know, just sounded like a good idea at
the time (like blocking all ICMP).  In any case, he knows about my PPP
tunnel and has no problem with it.

Naturally, doing things this way will involve communication with the
firewall admin, so I don't see any problem with it.  If the admin
doesn't go for it, it isn't going to happen.  But personally, I don't
think that (implemented correctly) this is more of a security concern
for the company than executives forwarding all their mail to hotmail
so they can access it on the road.

When nothing can possibly go wrong, it will.