* let's go shopping.
@ 1998-09-07  8:25 Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1998-09-07  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think I found another error... I just forwarded a news message to
myself - the original contained these headers:

My forwarded message ended up with these:

I guess the reason is that the message buffer wasn't encoded when I
forwarded the message - i.e. å was displayed as \345 and so on. Is
this a bug or my own fault?

--
Jon Kvebaek <jkv@sys.sol.no>
Wrinkled earlobes are a sign of impending heart attacks.

* Re: let's go shopping.
@ 1998-09-08  7:54   ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1998-09-08  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Well -- `char-charset' on a character that is displayed as \345
| returns `ascii', doesn't it?

Yup. The question really ought to be "why isn't the message buffer
encoded when i forward mail?" - but that was obviously too hard for me
to say ;)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no> writes:

> Yup. The question really ought to be "why isn't the message buffer
> encoded when i forward mail?" - but that was obviously too hard for me
> to say ;)

The decoding has to be done earlier.

I've now taken the decoding functions out of gnus-article-display-hook
and created a gnus-article-decode-hook which is run at a much earlier
point.  It should now be impossible to get an undecoded article
displayed in the buffer.

* Re: let's go mail and post forwarding.
@ 1998-09-09  8:20       ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1998-09-09  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

| I've now taken the decoding functions out of gnus-article-display-hook
| and created a gnus-article-decode-hook which is run at a much earlier
| point.  It should now be impossible to get an undecoded article
| displayed in the buffer.

Hmm. I'm still getting weird problems. If I look at
<xn6vhmyg25q.fsf@spurv.td.org.uit.no> (this one has no mime headers) å
is displayed as \201å and so on - the buffer is marked -1:.

But if I try to forward this one it turns upp correctly displayed in
the message buffer - and the buffer is marked --:

<6t3frr.prj.1@verdi.nethelp.no> is also free from mime, but that one
displays correctly (I really have no idea why these should be
different). The buffer is marked -1:

If I try to forward this article it is effed up seriously in the
message buffer - which is marked --:.

On the bright side - the URL-buttons work again :)
--

@ 1998-09-10  0:26         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-10  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no> writes:

> Hmm. I'm still getting weird problems.

Remove all settings of `enable-multibyte-characters' from your startup
files, and start Emacs with "--multibyte" and see whether the problems
are still there.  And then do the same, but with "--unibyte".

* Re: let's go mail and post forwarding.
@ 1998-09-10  7:52           ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1998-09-10  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Remove all settings of `enable-multibyte-characters' from your startup
| files,

I had none of these, but I removed a
	(set-language-environment "Latin-1").

| and start Emacs with "--multibyte" and see whether the problems
| are still there.

Ok. In both articles å is turned into \345, ø to \370 and so on. The
same with forwarding - at least it's consequent now.

| And then do the same, but with "--unibyte".

Exactly the same. If I combine it with standard-display-european it's
all fine and dandy. So touching none of the character stuff except
standard-display-european seems to work for me.

--

@ 1998-09-11  6:23             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-11  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no> writes:

> I had none of these, but I removed a
> 	(set-language-environment "Latin-1").

No, you should keep that one.

> Exactly the same. If I combine it with standard-display-european it's
> all fine and dandy. So touching none of the character stuff except
> standard-display-european seems to work for me.

Hm.  Remove the `standard-display-european', make sure you have don't
mention `enable-multibyte-characters' anywhere, and start Emacs with
"-no-site-file --multibyte" and see what happens.

* Re: let's go mail and post forwarding.
@ 1998-09-11  8:36               ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1998-09-11  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no> writes:
>
> > Exactly the same. If I combine it with standard-display-european it's
> > all fine and dandy. So touching none of the character stuff except
> > standard-display-european seems to work for me.
>
> Hm.  Remove the `standard-display-european', make sure you have don't
> mention `enable-multibyte-characters' anywhere, and start Emacs with
> "-no-site-file --multibyte" and see what happens.

Ok. With this all the articles are decoded, but the message buffer is
encoded when I forward. Followups/replies are fine.

--

@ 1998-09-11  9:19                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-11  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no> writes:

> Ok. With this all the articles are decoded, but the message buffer is
> encoded when I forward. Followups/replies are fine.

Right.  Doing the right thing with forwarded articles will have to
wait a smidgen until Message can understand messages that are encoded
with several charsets.

* Re: let's go shopping.
@ 2002-10-20 23:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-10-20 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)