* nnir and character encodings?
@ 2010-12-27 11:01 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-12-27 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Question: how does nnir handle character encodings?

I tried to search my nnimap server for "widerøe" (without the quotes) to
find my X-mas airplane tickets.  That came up with no matches.

But "wideroe" (again without the quotes) came up with matches.

So the searches seems to be ASCII-only...?  I don't know whether that
limitation is in nnir, or the protocol, or the dovecot IMAP server.

It could be encoding mismatch as well.  Ie. one component in the search
operating in iso-8859-1 and one in utf-8 or something like that.

(Note: that "wideroe" actually worked isn't so strange.  The email
address of the sender is @wideroe.top-level-domain-removed )

* Re: nnir and character encodings?
@ 2010-12-27 12:59 ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-12-27 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Steinar> Question: how does nnir handle character encodings?  I
    Steinar> tried to search my nnimap server for "widerøe" (without the
    Steinar> quotes) to find my X-mas airplane tickets.  That came up
    Steinar> with no matches.

    Steinar> But "wideroe" (again without the quotes) came up with
    Steinar> matches.

    Steinar> So the searches seems to be ASCII-only...?  I don't know
    Steinar> whether that limitation is in nnir, or the protocol, or the
    Steinar> dovecot IMAP server.

IMAP supports non-ASCII charsets but the protocol is a bit cumbersome
and I haven't implemented it in nnir yet. The support is also server
dependent: the spec says all servers must support US-ASCII but are not
required to support any other charsets. I have no idea which servers
support what at the moment.

To see if your server supports iso-8859 you can try to use a raw imap
search and append "CHARSET ISO-8859" and see what happens :)

Andy

* Re: nnir and character encodings?
@ 2010-12-27 13:09   ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-12-27 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

    Andy> IMAP supports non-ASCII charsets but the protocol is a bit
    Andy> cumbersome and I haven't implemented it in nnir yet. The
    Andy> support is also server dependent: the spec says all servers
    Andy> must support US-ASCII but are not required to support any
    Andy> other charsets. I have no idea which servers support what at
    Andy> the moment.

    Andy> To see if your server supports iso-8859 you can try to use a
    Andy> raw imap search and append "CHARSET ISO-8859" and see what
    Andy> happens :)

What they hey, I just tried it on my dovecot server and prepending (not
appending, my mistake) CHARSET ISO-8859-1 works. Also UTF-8 works.

Right now the only way to do this is with raw imap searches (which
aren't very different from the little language that nnir
implements). I'll think about how/whether to support charsets in some
other way as well.

* Re: nnir and character encodings?
@ 2010-12-27 16:30     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-12-27 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> What they hey, I just tried it on my dovecot server and prepending
> (not appending, my mistake) CHARSET ISO-8859-1 works. Also UTF-8
> works.

> Right now the only way to do this is with raw imap searches (which
> aren't very different from the little language that nnir
> implements). I'll think about how/whether to support charsets in some
> other way as well.

You will also have to figure out what encoding emacs thinks it is using
when creating the search string.  But that's easy, perhaps...?  (emacs
encodings have always been a mystery to me...)

* Re: nnir and character encodings?
@ 2010-12-27 17:59       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2010-12-27 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> You will also have to figure out what encoding emacs thinks it is using
> when creating the search string.  But that's easy, perhaps...?  (emacs
> encodings have always been a mystery to me...)

Presumably that will be the process encoding of the imap connection.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: nnir and character encodings?
@ 2011-01-02  5:51         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-02  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Presumably that will be the process encoding of the imap connection.

Yes...  and that's `binary' in nnimap, I think.