* Re: Gnus and Gmane speed
@ 2010-09-30  2:08 nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2010-09-30  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nyc4bos@aol.com writes:
>
>> The newsgroup currently has:
>>
>>    67933:*gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>>
>> It took about 20 minutes before I saw the *Summary* buffer.
>>
>> It appeared that the bulk of the time was spent in generating
>> the summary after sorting the threads.
>>
>> Is 20 minutes about what you have experienced?
>
> Taking 20 minutes to render 67k articles in threads sounds way too
> slow.  Do you have any particularly slow summary line enhancements?

Not sure if they are slow or not but my `gnus-summary-line-format' is:

gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
Its value is
"%8{%4k│%}%9{%U%R%z%}%8{│%}%*%(%-23,23f%)%7{║%} %6{%B%} %s\n"
Original value was
"%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23f%]%) %s\n"

And summary line for this message is:

4.5k│R. │Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen║ ┣━━❯

* Re: Gnus and Gmane speed
@ 2010-09-30 16:25 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> Not sure if they are slow or not but my `gnus-summary-line-format' is:

The way to find out is to try it with the default value and see whether
it makes a difference.

* Re: Gnus and Gmane speed
@ 2010-10-01  0:37   ` nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2010-10-01  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nyc4bos@aol.com writes:
>
>> Not sure if they are slow or not but my `gnus-summary-line-format' is:
>
> The way to find out is to try it with the default value and see whether
> it makes a difference.

It didn't make a noticable difference (approximately 1 minute).

Out of the 16 minutes it took to see the summary of
gmane.emacs.gnus.general, the following happened:

`SPC' (gnus-group-read-group) started at 7:13PM
Fetching headers for gmane.emacs.gnus.general...
Unknown charset: unknown
Fetching headers for gmane.emacs.gnus.general...done at 7:15PM
Sorting threads...done  at 7:19PM
Generating summary...done at 7:29

This was with these settings:

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

      gnus-article-sort-functions
      '((not gnus-article-sort-by-date))

When I removed these settings, "Sorting threads" was pretty quick but
generating "Generating summary" was about the same (approximately
10 minutes).

* Re: Gnus and Gmane speed
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-01 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> `SPC' (gnus-group-read-group) started at 7:13PM
> Fetching headers for gmane.emacs.gnus.general...
> Unknown charset: unknown
> Fetching headers for gmane.emacs.gnus.general...done at 7:15PM
> Sorting threads...done  at 7:19PM
> Generating summary...done at 7:29

How many lines did the summary buffer end up being, and what CPU does
your machine have?  And is it swapping?

* Re: Gnus and Gmane speed
@ 2010-09-29 14:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-29 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

@ 2010-09-29  3:37 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-09-29  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out if anyone else experienced "slowness"
> when initially accessing the gmane.emacs.gnus.general newsgroup.
>
> The newsgroup currently has:
>
>    67933:*gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>
> It took about 20 minutes before I saw the *Summary* buffer.
>
> It appeared that the bulk of the time was spent in generating
> the summary after sorting the threads.
>
> Is 20 minutes about what you have experienced?
>
> Do you have any non-default settings of either threading or sorting
> that you would recommend for a group this size or is this just
> something to expect?

[snipped 7 lines]

In the Group buffer, hit G P and enter the lisp form and C-c C-c.  The
one below limits display to 50 articles.  You can change it to any
number.  See the info section on Group Parameters in the Manual

((display . 50))

 sivaram

* Gnus and Gmane speed
@ 2010-09-26  2:10 nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2010-09-26  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if anyone else experienced "slowness"
when initially accessing the gmane.emacs.gnus.general newsgroup.

The newsgroup currently has:

   67933:*gmane.emacs.gnus.general

It took about 20 minutes before I saw the *Summary* buffer.

It appeared that the bulk of the time was spent in generating
the summary after sorting the threads.

Is 20 minutes about what you have experienced?

Do you have any non-default settings of either threading or sorting
that you would recommend for a group this size or is this just
something to expect?

I am running the latest bzr Gnus as of today.

Thanks for sharing your experience.