* Re: ifile-gnus.el version 0.3.5 (spam-filtering / general email classification)
       [not found] <uv61y6yroa4.fsf@suspiria.ai.mit.edu>
@ 2002-10-13 11:47 ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]   ` <uv6ptuecjxd.fsf@suspiria.ai.mit.edu>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2002-10-13 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ifile-discuss, ding

On 10 Oct 2002, jhbrown@ai.mit.edu wrote:
> You can use ifile-gnus either as a spamfilter, or to automatically
> and adaptively classify all of your incoming email.  My personal
> experience has been that ifile is 80-90% accurate in general email
> classification, and insanely accurate in spam vs. non-spam
> classification.

I set up a first cut of the ifile functionality for spam.el; like the
other checks, you just set spam-check-ifile to t and the
ifile-spam-filter function will be invoked with nil as the non-spam
group name parameter, so it will return either spam-split-group or
nil.  I wrap the call to ifile-spam-filter in a
let ((ifile-primary-spam-group spam-split-group)) so ifile will use
the spam-split-group name.

Let me know if there are problems.

Some ideas: it would be nice if ifile-gnus.el could support nnimap,
and if it could hook at group exit time, to look at articles marked as
spam.  spam.el already does that:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-hook 'spam-summary-prepare)
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook 'spam-summary-prepare-exit)

where spam-summary-prepare marks unread articles in
spam-junk-mailgroups with the spam-mark, and spam-summary-prepare-exit
invokes the bogofilter registration currently on all articles marked
as spam, whether manually or through spam-summary-prepare.  I think
ifile could be added to spam-summary-prepare-exit if there's interest.
That would add some precision to the already good ifile spam
detection, by classifying messages marked as spam even if they are not
moved to a spam group.

Thanks
Ted

@ 2002-10-15 16:22     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2002-10-15 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 13 Oct 2002, jhbrown@ai.mit.edu wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Some ideas: it would be nice if ifile-gnus.el could support nnimap,
>
> Yeah, I know.  I don't use nnimap myself (yet), so it hasn't been
> high priority.  I need to sit down and grok how messages are managed
> under nnimap --- I'll have to make ifile-gnus pull down at least the
> ascii and html parts for filtering.  People may not like the
> performance impact, at least when they're reading mail via imap over
> slow links.

I don't think the performance impact will be huge, especially
considering the benefits of ifile.  I think spam.el already pulls down
the article for bogofilter processing, for instance.

> Ah, this is where I'm bitten by working with stable gnus -- I
> haven't played with spam marks at all.  I'll look into doing this
> too, but it's lower priority than nnimap for the moment.  I'll look
> at how spam.el handles it.

Sure.  Basically there's the explicit spam-mark, and there's a list of
marks considered spam marks (usually just the spam-mark).  Conversely,
there's a list of "ham" marks (François Pinard came up with the term)
which are explicitly considered not to be spam.

> I think it probably makes more sense in the long run to have
> ifile-gnus do its own hooking, but since I'm not likely to get there
> real soon, feel free to add it to spam.el for now.

Well, if it's just a function that looks at spam articles, like
spam-bogofilter-register-routine, we can pretty much copy the code
from that function and the corresponding spam-bogofilter-articles that
processes each article with bogofilter, but use "ifile -i spam" on
each spam article.  Does that sound OK?  Would you rather have the
register and processing functions in ifile-gnus.el and have me
autoload them, since you'll need them eventually anyhow if you want to
do your own hooking?

Thanks
Ted

* ifile-gnus.el now unsupported
       [not found]   ` <uv6ptuecjxd.fsf@suspiria.ai.mit.edu>
@ 2004-10-03  0:26   ` Jeremy Brown
From: Jeremy Brown @ 2004-10-03  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's become clear to me that I'm not going to get around to doing
another revision of ifile-gnus, so I'm declaring it unsupported.  If
anyone else would like to pick up supporting it, drop me a line.
Until then, the last version will continue to live here:

http://www.ai.mit.edu/~jhbrown/ifile-gnus.html

Right now I don't have direct acceess to the filesystem containing
those web pages; when I do, I'll mark them up as "unsupported."

Jeremy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/CefplB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

* Re: ifile-gnus.el now unsupported
@ 2004-10-04 16:57     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-10-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004, jhbrown@ai.mit.edu wrote:

> It's become clear to me that I'm not going to get around to doing
> another revision of ifile-gnus, so I'm declaring it unsupported.  If
> anyone else would like to pick up supporting it, drop me a line.
> Until then, the last version will continue to live here:
>
> http://www.ai.mit.edu/~jhbrown/ifile-gnus.html
>
> Right now I don't have direct acceess to the filesystem containing
> those web pages; when I do, I'll mark them up as "unsupported."

Could anyone using ifile with Gnus (with or without the spam.el
support) please reply to me, so I know who would benefit from a
rewrite of ifile-gnus.el?

Thanks
Ted