* Cleaning up bogus newsgroups from newsrc.eld
@ 2000-12-06  2:02 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2000-12-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I trim cruft from my newsrc.eld?  The number of newsgroups are
getting larger and larger yet I know many of them are bogus.  Is there a way
to trim the size of that file?  It iakes FOREVER to execute an A-k command!

TIA!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 928-4640
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

microsoft: "where do you want to go today?"
linux:     "where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD:       "are you guys coming, or what?"

* Re: Cleaning up bogus newsgroups from newsrc.eld
@ 2000-12-06  2:10 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-06  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> How can I trim cruft from my newsrc.eld?  The number of newsgroups
> are getting larger and larger yet I know many of them are bogus.  Is
> there a way to trim the size of that file?  It iakes FOREVER to
> execute an A-k command!

(setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)

ShengHuo

* Re: Cleaning up bogus newsgroups from newsrc.eld
@ 2000-12-06 14:41   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2000-12-06 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    ZSH> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
    >> How can I trim cruft from my newsrc.eld?  The number of newsgroups are
    >> getting larger and larger yet I know many of them are bogus.  Is there
    >> a way to trim the size of that file?  It iakes FOREVER to execute an
    >> A-k command!

    ZSH> (setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)

If I set this to nil, the killed newsgroups will not be saved in my
newsrc.eld file.  Fine.  And since I've already set
`gnus-check-new-newsgroups' to `ask-server', I'll still get an accurate
listing of all new newsgroups as they get carried by my news server.  Also
fine.  But if I do this how do I then see a list of all available newsgroups
if I decide I want to subscribe to something to which I am not currently
subscribed?  Currently, I may not have an interest in any comp.x.* newsgroups.
What if something chages I want to see what comp.x.* newsgroups are
available?  Since I routinely kill all my zombies, won't these killed groups
disappear?  And, if so, how can I then see what groups are carried by my
server?

Thanks!

--

@ 2000-12-07 18:51     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2000-12-07 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
> But if I do this how do I then see a list of all available newsgroups
> if I decide I want to subscribe to something to which I am not currently
> subscribed?

gnus-group-list-active.  'A A' in the group buffer.

paul

* Re: Cleaning up bogus newsgroups from newsrc.eld
@ 2000-12-20  2:59     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-20  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     ZSH> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
>     >> How can I trim cruft from my newsrc.eld?  The number of newsgroups are
>     >> getting larger and larger yet I know many of them are bogus.  Is there
>     >> a way to trim the size of that file?  It iakes FOREVER to execute an
>     >> A-k command!
>
>     ZSH> (setq gnus-save-killed-list nil)
>
> If I set this to nil, the killed newsgroups will not be saved in my
> newsrc.eld file.  Fine.  And since I've already set
> `gnus-check-new-newsgroups' to `ask-server', I'll still get an
> accurate listing of all new newsgroups as they get carried by my
> news server.  Also fine.  But if I do this how do I then see a list
> of all available newsgroups if I decide I want to subscribe to
> something to which I am not currently subscribed?  Currently, I may
> not have an interest in any comp.x.* newsgroups.  What if something
> chages I want to see what comp.x.* newsgroups are available?  Since
> I routinely kill all my zombies, won't these killed groups
> disappear?  And, if so, how can I then see what groups are carried
> by my server?

You could browse the server to find out new groups.

Now, I've changed the behavior of `C-k', that is, if a group is killed
twice, it will no longer be in gnus-killed-list.

ShengHuo

* Cleaning up bogus completion buffers [was newsgroups]
@ 2000-12-20  3:40       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-12-20  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> You could browse the server to find out new groups.
>
> Now, I've changed the behavior of `C-k', that is, if a group is killed
> twice, it will no longer be in gnus-killed-list.

A related question:  I've had occasion to misstype an entry when
using `j' to jump to a group.

Imagine ... you type  `j' nnml:newestgroup  and you really meant
nnml:newergroup.

The result will be that a killed group with the mistaken name is
created at the bottom of group buffer.  Ok.. fine, you can kill it
again.

Now here's the rub.  That mistaken, twice killed group is now included
in completion buffers.

If you type nnml:n<SPC> you will see it there.  One would think that
the info that appears in a completion buffer would be stored somewhere
and therefore editable, but grepping .newsrc.eld for the phantom
`newestgroup' will prove futile.

* Re: Cleaning up bogus completion buffers [was newsgroups]
@ 2000-12-20  5:36         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-20  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
>
> > You could browse the server to find out new groups.
> >
> > Now, I've changed the behavior of `C-k', that is, if a group is killed
> > twice, it will no longer be in gnus-killed-list.
>
> A related question:  I've had occasion to misstype an entry when
> using `j' to jump to a group.
>
> Imagine ... you type  `j' nnml:newestgroup  and you really meant
> nnml:newergroup.
>
> The result will be that a killed group with the mistaken name is
> created at the bottom of group buffer.  Ok.. fine, you can kill it
> again.
>
> Now here's the rub.  That mistaken, twice killed group is now included
> in completion buffers.

Now fixed.  Only for twice killed groups.

ShengHuo

* Re: Cleaning up bogus completion buffers [was newsgroups]
@ 2000-12-20  9:17           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-12-20  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> > ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
> >
> > > You could browse the server to find out new groups.
> > >
> > > Now, I've changed the behavior of `C-k', that is, if a group is killed
> > > twice, it will no longer be in gnus-killed-list.
> >
> > A related question:  I've had occasion to misstype an entry when
> > using `j' to jump to a group.
> >
> > Imagine ... you type  `j' nnml:newestgroup  and you really meant
> > nnml:newergroup.
> >
> > The result will be that a killed group with the mistaken name is
> > created at the bottom of group buffer.  Ok.. fine, you can kill it
> > again.
> >
> > Now here's the rub.  That mistaken, twice killed group is now included
> > in completion buffers.
>
> Now fixed.  Only for twice killed groups.

Cooool

If its not pushing my luck to far.....

Were does the contents of completion buffers get generated.
Can it be edited some how?

* Re: Cleaning up bogus completion buffers [was newsgroups]
@ 2000-12-20 14:14             ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2000-12-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Were does the contents of completion buffers get generated.
> Can it be edited some how?

It is gnus-active-hashtb.  (unintern group gnus-active-hashtb) can
erase the group from the completion list.

ShengHuo