* Feature request: optional sig separator
@ 2000-11-06 21:51 Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2000-11-06 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

See my sig below: it's really all beginning with "Best regards". You
cannot achieve that with Gnus out of the box, cause the sig insertion
code of Gnus always inserts the separator. This should be the default
separator, but it should also possible to turn the insertion of the
default separator off. Maybe THEN should be tested when inserting the
sig if the separator is a valid "^-- $".

To achieve this behaviour i had to do some ugly coding (prevents using
`gnus-posting-styles'):

(setq message-signature-file "~/.signature")
(setq message-signature nil)

;; Calling sequence in function `message-setup':
;; 1) `message-signature-setup-hook'
;; 2) `message-insert-signature'
;;    (not called because message-signature is nil)
;; 3) `message-setup-hook'
(add-hook 'message-signature-setup-hook
          (function
           (lambda()
             "Add sig without extra \"-- \""
             (goto-char (point-max))
             ;; Insert the signature.
             (insert "\n")
             (unless (bolp)
               (insert "\n"))
             (insert-file-contents message-signature-file)
             (goto-char (point-max))
             (or (bolp) (insert "\n")))))

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
This message was written completely with recycled 0's and 1's.
(defvar my-computer '((OS . "GNU Emacs") (system-type . gnu/linux))

* Re: Feature request: optional sig separator
@ 2000-11-06 22:40 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2000-11-06 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

[...]

> To achieve this behaviour i had to do some ugly coding (prevents using
> `gnus-posting-styles'):

Not necessarily, you could use something like:

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((message-this-is-news
	 (body "\nFrancisco\n")
	 (signature fortune-news))
	(message-this-is-mail
	 (signature fortune-mail)
	 (body "\n\nBest regards,\ncu, -cc-\netc.,etc.\n"))
        ...))

and so you don't need to get rid of the (IMO) nice signature
separator.  Besides, what you are trying to do is to insert something
into the body of your message, and a signature, not only a signature.

Does this help?

Francisco
--
No matter how large the hard disk, the need for space will always exceed the
available space by ten percent.

* Re: Feature request: optional sig separator
@ 2000-11-07  7:38   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2000-11-07  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Francisco!

    > Besides, what you are trying to do is to insert something into the
    > body of your message, and a signature, not only a signature.

That's true. I do not want to delete the extra separator above "Best
regards" every time.

    > Does this help?

It's _great_! Thank you _very_ much!

I like the idea of posting styles very much, and now i can use them
_and_ achieve the behaviour i want:

(setq gnus-inhibit-posting-styles nil)
(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
         (signature-file "~/.signature")
         (body "\n\nBest regards,\ncu, -cc-\n"))))

Best regards,
cu, -cc-