* Re: nnkiboze in gnus 5.6.4
       [not found] <ylcafa5clk0.fsf@ns.luni.ml.org>
@ 1998-04-02 16:03 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-02 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

torbjok@ifi.uio.no (Torbjørn Køhler) writes:

> I've been unable to create and use a nnkiboze group with gnus 5.6.4.
> I create the group with "G k", groupname "banana.banana", group regexp
> "gnu.emacs.gnus", match on header "subject", match "haha"
>
> then the group pops up in the group buffer.  I press "g" to update,
> and it contains 0 messages. i quit gnus and start it again, and start
> it again and the last message i see is
>
> then nothing happens except emacs is using 99% of the cpu without me
> being able to notice anything happening.  i'm eventually able to break
> gnus with C-g, but i have to manually edit .newsrc.eld and remove
> banana.banana from it to be able to start gnus again.
>
> If i run nnkiboze-generate-groups after i've created it, it says it
> contains several messages, but i'm unable to select the group to read
> any og them.

I've been floundering around with nnkiboze for days and have yet to get
anything useful from it.  I've concluded, without further coding, it is
basically useless and can do harm.  Some of this is documented in my
postings to this group recently.

Have you noticed how after running a kiboze search, the groups searched
have all ticked articles unticked [and thereby uncached] and show up as
unread, so that the number of unread showing is how ever many are on the
server.

And of course any ticked articles that were older than the servers
expirey are history, if you are running with caching set to 't'.  I lost
quite a few older articles that way.  Nnkiboze should come with a danger
sign on it.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: nnkiboze in gnus 5.6.4
@ 1998-04-02 16:12   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-04-02 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've concluded, without further coding, it is basically useless and
> can do harm.

I second this.  Since some time into Red Gnus, nnkiboze broke, and it
never got fixed.  Whenever I try using nnkiboze, I get all of the
articles in my mail- and newsgroups marked unread, and other harmful
things.

When I reported it to Lars, he said he couldn't repeat the bug.  I've
checked whether it was fixed in 5.6.x, and saw it wasn't.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: nnkiboze in gnus 5.6.4
@ 1998-04-02 16:35     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-04-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > I've concluded, without further coding, it is basically useless and
> > can do harm.
>
> I second this.  Since some time into Red Gnus, nnkiboze broke, and it
> never got fixed.  Whenever I try using nnkiboze, I get all of the
> articles in my mail- and newsgroups marked unread, and other harmful
> things.
>
> When I reported it to Lars, he said he couldn't repeat the bug.  I've
> checked whether it was fixed in 5.6.x, and saw it wasn't.

Can you make an educated guess as to what older version would have a
working nnkiboze.  I'd like to see what it will actually do.

--

@ 1998-04-02 16:54       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-04-02 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can you make an educated guess as to what older version would have a
> working nnkiboze.  I'd like to see what it will actually do.

I remember it working in Gnus 5.2.40.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
aibophobia (ay' bo fo beeya): n. The fear of palindromes.

* Re: nnkiboze in gnus 5.6.4
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> When I reported it to Lars, he said he couldn't repeat the bug.  I've
> checked whether it was fixed in 5.6.x, and saw it wasn't.

I got it working a couple of weeks ago.  Uhm.  I'll do Gnus 5.6.5 now,
so that you can check whether it works for you as well.