* [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-19 16:56 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-19 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is normal for `A T' (`gnus-summary-refer-thread') not to work with
nnimap backend?

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20  3:31 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-20  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Is normal for `A T' (`gnus-summary-refer-thread') not to work with
> nnimap backend?

No.  What happens?  What does *imap-log* contain (after toggling
imap-log)?

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20  4:17   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-20  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No.  What happens?  What does *imap-log* contain (after toggling
> imap-log)?

How does one toggle an imap-log.
An `s' search on entire gnus inof shows no hits on imap-log.

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20  4:20   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-20  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No.  What happens?  What does *imap-log* contain (after toggling
> imap-log)?

I may have been brain dead or maybe the files actually were not on
disc.  But it seemed to just not display the rest of a thread if it
had been marked read already.  Now it seems to work fine.  I tried on
a couple of threads after marking some read and it pulls them up as
expected.

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20  4:40     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-20  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> No.  What happens?  What does *imap-log* contain (after toggling
>> imap-log)?
>
> How does one toggle an imap-log.
> An `s' search on entire gnus inof shows no hits on imap-log.

I added the following, comments appreciated.

Debugging IMAP
--------------

IMAP is a complex protocol, at least compared to NNTP or POP3.  Perhaps
for that reason, implementation bugs are not unlikely.  If you
encounter an odd behaviour, chances are that either the server or Gnus
is buggy.  If you are familiar with network protocols in general, you
will probably be able to extract some clues from reading the protocol
dump of the exchanges between Gnus and the server.  Even if you are not
familiar with network protocols, including the protocol exchange in
IMAP-related bug reports may be critical for solving the problem.

   Because this protocol dump generate potentially large buffers, it is
not enabled by default.  You can enable it by toggling `imap-log' as
follows:

     (setq imap-log t)

   This instruct the `imap.el' package to dump sent to the server, and
everything received from the server.  The output is stored in the
buffer `*imap-log*'.  Look for error messages, which sometimes are
tagged with the keyword `BAD'.

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 10:54       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-20 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> No.  What happens?  What does *imap-log* contain (after toggling
>>> imap-log)?
>>
>> How does one toggle an imap-log.
>> An `s' search on entire gnus inof shows no hits on imap-log.
>
> I added the following, comments appreciated.

Good addition Simon.  What you posted was probably not the final version
but I've added a few spelling/grammer  changes as noted.  The
substance seems good as it stands.

> Debugging IMAP
> --------------
>
> IMAP is a complex protocol, at least compared to NNTP or POP3.  Perhaps
> for that reason, implementation bugs are not unlikely.  If you
> encounter an odd behaviour, chances are that either the server or Gnus
> is buggy.  If you are familiar with network protocols in general, you
> will probably be able to extract some clues from reading the protocol
> dump of the exchanges between Gnus and the server.  Even if you are not
> familiar with network protocols, including the protocol exchange in
> IMAP-related bug reports may be critical for solving the problem.
>
>    Because this protocol dump generate potentially large buffers, it is
                                ^^^^^^^^
                                generates
> not enabled by default.  You can enable it by toggling `imap-log' as
> follows:
>
>      (setq imap-log t)
>
>    This instruct the `imap.el' package to dump   sent to the server,and
          ^^^^^^^^                               ^
          instructs                           everthing

@ 2003-11-20 11:57         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-20 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

>>> How does one toggle an imap-log.
>>> An `s' search on entire gnus inof shows no hits on imap-log.
>>
>> I added the following, comments appreciated.
>
> Good addition Simon.  What you posted was probably not the final version
> but I've added a few spelling/grammer  changes as noted.  The
> substance seems good as it stands.

English isn't my native tongue, so I appreciate all improvements.  Hm.
Perhaps I should get that flygrammar.el working... I appear to always
make exactly the same grammar mistakes.

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 12:21           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-11-20 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> English isn't my native tongue, so I appreciate all improvements.  Hm.
> Perhaps I should get that flygrammar.el working... I appear to always
> make exactly the same grammar mistakes.

I have no such good excuse...other than being an iliterate hill-billy.
But I managed to mispell one of my corrections.

    everthing
    ^^^^^^^^^
    everything

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 12:30             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-20 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> English isn't my native tongue, so I appreciate all improvements.  Hm.
>> Perhaps I should get that flygrammar.el working... I appear to always
>> make exactly the same grammar mistakes.
>
> I have no such good excuse...other than being an iliterate hill-billy.
> But I managed to mispell one of my corrections.
>
>     everthing
>     ^^^^^^^^^
>     everything

Fortunately, flyspell caught that one for me. :-)

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 13:48       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-20 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here's my version.

Debugging IMAP
--------------

IMAP is a complex protocol, more so than NNTP or POP3.  Implementation
bugs are not unlikely, and we do our best to fix them right away.  If
you encounter odd behaviour, chances are that either the server or
Gnus is buggy.

If you are familiar with network protocols in general, you will
probably be able to extract some clues from the protocol dump of the
exchanges between Gnus and the server.  Even if you are not familiar
with network protocols, when you include the protocol dump in
IMAP-related bug reports you are helping us with data critical to
solving the problem.  Therefore, we strongly encourage you to include
the protocol dump when reporting IMAP bugs in Gnus.

Because the protocol dump, when enabled, generates lots of data, it is
disabled by default.  You can enable it by toggling `imap-log' as
follows:

     (setq imap-log t)

This instructs the `imap.el' package to log any exchanges with the
server.  The log is stored in the buffer `*imap-log*'.  Look for
error messages, which sometimes are tagged with the keyword `BAD' -
but when submitting a bug, make sure to include all the data.

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 14:23         ` Derrell.Lipman
From: Derrell.Lipman @ 2003-11-20 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Because the protocol dump, when enabled, generates lots of data, it is
> disabled by default.  You can enable it by toggling `imap-log' as
> follows:
>
>      (setq imap-log t)

Nit-picky change.  This isn't acually "toggling".  How about:

  You can enable it by setting the `imap-log' variable as follows:

Derrell

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 14:24         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Here's my version.

Please install it.

* Re: [nnimap] Is `A T' supposed to work with nnimap backend
@ 2003-11-20 16:19           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-20 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, jas@extundo.com wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Here's my version.
>
> Please install it.

Done, with Derrell Lipman's correction too.

Ted