* message-generate-headers - changed behaviour? bug?
@ 2003-01-20 18:49 Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 2003-01-20 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

hiya

Somewhere between oort v0.08 and v0.12 the behaviour of
message-generate-headers in message.el seems to have been
modified.

Nowadays when composing a mail or news with 'a' or 'm' Gnus asks me
for Newsgroups (twice!) and a Subject. Maybe it's just a configuration
flaw on my side, because a quick search on Usenet and on this mailing-
list index showed no 'complaints'.

Anyway - there's something fishy going on.

 - Gnus asks twice for Newsgroups
 - Gnus asks for a Newsgroup even if I want to compose a _mail_
 - Gnus asks for a Subject, but seems to discard anything entered

[After the first time Gnus asks me for NG, some headers from my posting
 styles are added. The second time nothing visible happens.]

These symptoms occured right after updating from 0.07 to cvs_current
(0.13). Downgrading to 0.12 showed no obvious changes compared to 0.13.
A Gnumate is using 0.08 and is not being asked for NG and Subject. The
Changelog shows some work on message.el between 0.10 and 0.12.

I've tried to patch something, but my Lisp is not sufficient. -_-
Anyway here's my fragment. I hope it shows what I'm trying to
accomplish.

4658,4659c4658,4671
<                 (read-from-minibuffer
<                  (format "Empty header for %s; enter value: " header)))))
---
> ;               (read-from-minibuffer
> ;                (format "Empty header for %s; enter value: " header)))))
>                 ;; ...but let's check first, if we're trying to generate
>                 ;; 'Newsgroups: ' for a mail -> doesn't make sense!
>                 ;; (patched by Thomas <blacky_tn@gmx.de>
>                 (when
>                     (or
>                      (and message-this-is-mail
>                           (not (equal header "Newsgroups"))
>                           )
>                      message-this-is-news)
>                   (read-from-minibuffer
>                    (format "Empty header for %s; enter value: " header)))
[message.el, patched against cvs 20. Jan/19:30]

What I don't get is, how 'To' is handled. 'To' is defined as nil (like
'Newsgroups' and 'Subject', but is not being asked for. Yet there's no
obvious exception in message-generate-headers. Is 'To' already present
before message-generate-headers is being called?

If 'To' is handled before - why? Why are 'To' and 'Newsgroups' handled
in different ways?

tschüß
thomas

* Re: message-generate-headers - changed behaviour? bug?
@ 2003-01-21  6:11 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Neumann <blacky_tn@gmx.de> writes:

> Nowadays when composing a mail or news with 'a' or 'm' Gnus asks me
> for Newsgroups (twice!) and a Subject. Maybe it's just a configuration
> flaw on my side, because a quick search on Usenet and on this mailing-
> list index showed no 'complaints'.

Odd.  Sounds like you have strange values for
`message-required-mail-headers' and `message-required-news-headers'.

* Re: message-generate-headers - changed behaviour? bug?
@ 2003-01-21 17:39   ` Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 2003-01-21 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thomas Neumann <blacky_tn@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Nowadays when composing a mail or news with 'a' or 'm' Gnus asks me
>> for Newsgroups (twice!) and a Subject. Maybe it's just a configuration
>> flaw on my side, because a quick search on Usenet and on this mailing-
>> list index showed no 'complaints'.

> Odd.  Sounds like you have strange values for
> `message-required-mail-headers' and `message-required-news-headers'.

I guess this is what they call a well educated guess.
After commenting out the relevant part everything seems to be fine.

;;* Insert Extra-Headers
(require 'message)
(setq message-required-headers
      (nconc message-required-news-headers
	     (list '(X-True-Organization . "Ministerium fuer galaktische
	                              Unsicherheit - Abteilung Kornkreise"))
	     )
      )
[gnus.el, Line wrap after 'galaktische' included]

What's the proper way in order to include this header? [*hmmm* Looking
at that snippet - would 'eval-after-load' be less quick&dirty then
require?]
(What was the initial flaw - am I not supposed to mess with
 '.*-required-headers'?)

I didn't touch 'message-required-mail-headers'.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Neumann <blacky_tn@gmx.de> writes:

> (setq message-required-headers
>       (nconc message-required-news-headers

There's a "news-" missing in the first variable.  :-)

* Doku-Bug in message-required-headers (was: message-generate-headers - changed behaviour? bug?)
@ 2003-01-21 20:14       ` Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 2003-01-21 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thomas Neumann <blacky_tn@gmx.de> writes:
>> (setq message-required-headers
>>       (nconc message-required-news-headers

> There's a "news-" missing in the first variable.  :-)

C-h v message-required-headers
`message-required-headers' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "message"

Value: [...]

Documentation:
*Headers to be generated or promted for when sending a message.
Also see `message-required-news-headers' and
1message-required-mail-headers'.

promted ?
lmessage-required-mail-headers' ? [and it's not selectable]

Gnus version is 0.13

tschüß
thomas

* Re: Doku-Bug in message-required-headers
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Neumann <blacky_tn@gmx.de> writes:

>>> (setq message-required-headers
>>>       (nconc message-required-news-headers
>
>> There's a "news-" missing in the first variable.  :-)
>
> C-h v message-required-headers

The point is that you're setting one variable to the value of the
other.

> *Headers to be generated or promted for when sending a message.
> Also see `message-required-news-headers' and
> 1message-required-mail-headers'.

[...]

> promted ?

Yes?

* Re: Doku-Bug in message-required-headers
@ 2003-01-21 20:30           ` Thomas Neumann
From: Thomas Neumann @ 2003-01-21 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

hiya

>>> There's a "news-" missing in the first variable.  :-)

>> C-h v message-required-headers

> The point is that you're setting one variable to the value of the
> other.

*erm* This post had almost nothing to do with my previous posts. [That's
why I changed the subject.] After inserting 'news-' everything runs
fine. [Thanks!] It was a stupid mistake and I'm kinda embarressed about
it¹. But nonetheless. While browsing the Gnus Doku in order to understand
what went wrong I stumbled upon two errors in Gnus-Help for
message-required-headers.

 - a 'p' is missing in promted
 - message-required-mail-headers is not quoted correctly and thus not
   linked to the appropriated chapter

tschüß
thomas

¹ It's quite astonishing my error was able to cloak itself for quite
  some time.

* Re: Doku-Bug in message-required-headers
@ 2003-01-21 20:47             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-21 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Neumann <blacky_tn@gmx.de> writes:

> While browsing the Gnus Doku in order to understand
> what went wrong I stumbled upon two errors in Gnus-Help for
> message-required-headers.
>
>  - a 'p' is missing in promted
>  - message-required-mail-headers is not quoted correctly and thus not
>    linked to the appropriated chapter

Ah.  :-)  I've now fixed those two.