* error with Group parameter display
@ 2001-11-22 17:36 Martin Monsorno
From: Martin Monsorno @ 2001-11-22 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have the following wonderful setting in the 'Group parameters' for
one group
    (display . [not expire])

which works quite well, but only if I do not have any ticked articles
in that group. In that case only these are shown if I enter the group,
but no unticked read articles.

--
Martin Monsorno
mailto:monsorno@gmx.de

* Re: error with Group parameter display
@ 2001-11-22 17:59 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-22 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:

> I have the following wonderful setting in the 'Group parameters' for
> one group
>     (display . [not expire])
>
> which works quite well, but only if I do not have any ticked articles
> in that group. In that case only these are shown if I enter the group,
> but no unticked read articles.

If the group has no ticked articles, only the ticked articles will be
shown?

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  What did you mean?

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: error with Group parameter display
@ 2001-11-23  9:15   ` Martin Monsorno
From: Martin Monsorno @ 2001-11-23  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I have the following wonderful setting in the 'Group parameters' for
>> one group
>>     (display . [not expire])
>>
>> which works quite well, but only if I do not have any ticked articles
>> in that group. In that case only these are shown if I enter the group,
>> but no unticked read articles.
>
> If the group has no ticked articles, only the ticked articles will be
> shown?
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding here.  What did you mean?

Sorry, that was a little bit confusing. What I really meant was:

If the group contains no ticked articles, then all not-expired
articles are shown. Means: old-and-not-expired articles and new
ones. (I suppose there are no new-and-expired articles ;-)

If the group contains ticked articles, only these and the new ones are
shown.

--

@ 2001-11-23 10:36     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-23 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:

> If the group contains no ticked articles, then all not-expired
> articles are shown. Means: old-and-not-expired articles and new
> ones. (I suppose there are no new-and-expired articles ;-)
>
> If the group contains ticked articles, only these and the new ones are
> shown.

This is bad, I guess.  Or is this intentional?  Anyone?

kai
--

@ 2001-11-23 15:32     ` Martin Monsorno
From: Martin Monsorno @ 2001-11-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> I have the following wonderful setting in the 'Group parameters' for
>>> one group
>>>     (display . [not expire])
>>>

> If the group contains no ticked articles, then all not-expired
> articles are shown. Means: old-and-not-expired articles and new
> ones. (I suppose there are no new-and-expired articles ;-)

Supplement: if the group contains no ticked articles, then

- if the group contains new articles, only the new ones are shown.

- if the group contains no new articles, all of them are shown.

Expired articles are not shown in any of the 2 cases.

> If the group contains ticked articles, only these and the new ones
>are shown.

This is an imap group, if it matters.

--

@ 2001-11-23 16:20       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-23 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:

> Supplement: if the group contains no ticked articles, then
>
> - if the group contains new articles, only the new ones are shown.
>
> - if the group contains no new articles, all of them are shown.
>
> Expired articles are not shown in any of the 2 cases.

This seems to be just like the default behavior, except that the
default behavior also shows expired messages in the second case.

And what do you want?

Maybe you need to list all of the article types you want, rather than
using negation.

kai
--

@ 2001-11-26  8:22         ` Martin Monsorno
From: Martin Monsorno @ 2001-11-26  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Supplement: if the group contains no ticked articles, then
>>
>> - if the group contains new articles, only the new ones are shown.
>>
>> - if the group contains no new articles, all of them are shown.
>>
>> Expired articles are not shown in any of the 2 cases.
>
> This seems to be just like the default behavior, except that the
> default behavior also shows expired messages in the second case.

Well, the rule says: "Show me all un-expired articles." Full stop. I
would understand that as "Show me _all_ un-expired articles, in _any_
case, do not distinguish between groups containing new or unticked
articles." Or am I wrong?

> And what do you want?
>
> Maybe you need to list all of the article types you want, rather than
> using negation.

Well, I suppose the "error" is, that Gnus shows a different set of
articles if a group contains marked or ticked articles or if it does
not.

Sorry, I hope I have made it clear now. Thanks for your patience.

--

@ 2001-11-26  8:58           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-26  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:

> Well, the rule says: "Show me all un-expired articles." Full stop. I
> would understand that as "Show me _all_ un-expired articles, in _any_
> case, do not distinguish between groups containing new or unticked
> articles." Or am I wrong?

You're right, you're right.  I was trying to explain what happens,
not what should happen.

According to the documentation, what happens is not what should
happen.

I guess the code should be changed to match the documentation.

kai
--

@ 2001-12-29  3:13             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Well, the rule says: "Show me all un-expired articles." Full stop. I
>> would understand that as "Show me _all_ un-expired articles, in _any_
>> case, do not distinguish between groups containing new or unticked
>> articles." Or am I wrong?
>
> You're right, you're right.  I was trying to explain what happens,
> not what should happen.
>
> According to the documentation, what happens is not what should
> happen.

The `display' thing mostly says which subset of the articles that
you've already decided to select should be displayed.

`not expired' just says that the expirable articles should be left out
of the initial display limit.

So the documentation is perhaps a bit unclear here...