* draft oddity
@ 2001-11-08 20:24 Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-11-08 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I edited my .newsrc.eld to replace (nndraft "") with "nndraft:" in my
draft group info.  I also added this to my gnus-secondary-select-methods:
(nndraft "" (nndraft-directory "..."))
My draft group still works fine, but the article count in the *Group*
buffer is "*" until the first time I either enter the group or type
M-g on it; plain g doesn't clear the "*".  Any ideas why?  Should we
care?

paul

* Re: draft oddity
@ 2001-12-29 21:27 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> I edited my .newsrc.eld to replace (nndraft "") with "nndraft:" in my
> draft group info.

Uhm -- why?

> I also added this to my gnus-secondary-select-methods:
> (nndraft "" (nndraft-directory "..."))
> My draft group still works fine, but the article count in the *Group*
> buffer is "*" until the first time I either enter the group or type
> M-g on it; plain g doesn't clear the "*".  Any ideas why?  Should we
> care?

It probably means that Gnus doesn't recognize the group as belonging
to that secondary server.

* Re: draft oddity
@ 2001-12-31  9:51   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-31  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:
>> I edited my .newsrc.eld to replace (nndraft "") with "nndraft:" in my
>> draft group info.
>
> Uhm -- why?

Blind, overzealous adherence to the notions that a virtual server
should always be referred to, never defined, within a group info, and
that when referring to a virtual server, rather than defining one,
"nnfoo:address" should always be used, rather than (nnfoo "address").
Perhaps nndraft is sufficiently special to break these notions, but I
think it'd be nice if it weren't.

>> My draft group still works fine, but the article count in the *Group*
>> buffer is "*" until the first time I either enter the group or type
>> M-g on it; plain g doesn't clear the "*".  Any ideas why?  Should we
>> care?
>
> It probably means that Gnus doesn't recognize the group as belonging
> to that secondary server.

But then why would it start working after M-g?

paul

* Re: draft oddity
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

>>> My draft group still works fine, but the article count in the *Group*
>>> buffer is "*" until the first time I either enter the group or type
>>> M-g on it; plain g doesn't clear the "*".  Any ideas why?  Should we
>>> care?
>>
>> It probably means that Gnus doesn't recognize the group as belonging
>> to that secondary server.
>
> But then why would it start working after M-g?

That's a good question.

When it's not working, could you see what the server buffer has to say
about it?  If it says `denied', then that could be a clue of sorts.

* Re: draft oddity
@ 2001-12-31 10:06       ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-12-31 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> When it's not working, could you see what the server buffer has to say
> about it?  If it says `denied', then that could be a clue of sorts.

The nndraft server is open, but when I hit SPC on it, I get an empty
list of groups, so I guess that's it.  Is it very easy for the nndraft
server to know which groups it's supposed to have?  Or would it hurt
for it to claim to have all the nndraft groups?  (It's a small, finite
set, right?)

paul

* Re: draft oddity
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-31 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> The nndraft server is open, but when I hit SPC on it, I get an empty
> list of groups, so I guess that's it.

That's normal.

> Is it very easy for the nndraft server to know which groups it's
> supposed to have?  Or would it hurt for it to claim to have all the
> nndraft groups?  (It's a small, finite set, right?)

Well, yes.  I guess we could just make it return something
sensible...

Perhaps that's why you get at * when you start Gnus?  Gnus sees that
it's a secondary group, so it doesn't request the group by the "slow"
method, but the -request-active thing.  Which nndraft probably doesn't
have implemented.

But Gnus should fall back on the "slow" method...  Hm...