* `gnus-article-fill-cited-article' (W w) - Did behavior change?
@ 2000-04-28 21:43 Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-04-28 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Did the behavior for the `gnus-article-fill-cited-article' command
(W-w) change in Gnus 5.8.5?

I'm used to using this command to fix up articles with bad (or no)
wrapping (not to be confused with articles about rapping). Previously,
it would wrap the lines to something around 79 characters. Now, it
flows the text out to fit the width of the frame.

At first, I thought this might be Gnus being sensitive to
"format-flowed," but there's no such header to indicate that as the
reason. This happens on all messages.

If something did change, is there an option to tweak to restore the
old behavior? I can see that you can pass a WIDTH argument to the
function, but that never used to be necessary.

--
Steven E. Harris
Primus Knowledge Solutions, Inc.

* Re: `gnus-article-fill-cited-article' (W w) - Did behavior change?
@ 2000-04-28 21:50 ` Steve Harris
From: Steve Harris @ 2000-04-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Harris <sharris@primus.com> writes:

[...]

> At first, I thought this might be Gnus being sensitive to
> "format-flowed," but there's no such header to indicate that as the
> reason. This happens on all messages.

Following up to myself here, now I see that the full-width fill
doesn't happen on _all_ messages; it's just that I can't figure out
why it happens on some messages. Is the offending header getting
removed?

--

@ 2000-04-29  3:03   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2000-04-29  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

You will probably find that, at some point along the way, you viewed a
text/html message.  w3 will have expanded the fill-column out to the
full frame width, and that value then sticks.

My dreadful workaround:

(defun karl-correct-width (&optional useless)
  "Fix braindead HTML max-width setting."
  (interactive)
  (gnus-summary-show-article)
  (gnus-summary-select-article-buffer)
  (set-fill-column 70)
  (gnus-article-show-summary)
  (gnus-article-fill-cited-article))
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "\e\C-q" 'karl-correct-width)

* Re: `gnus-article-fill-cited-article' (W w) - Did behavior change?
@ 2000-05-01 19:05     ` Reid Rivenburgh
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2000-05-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Karl Kleinpaste writes:

 > You will probably find that, at some point along the way, you
 > viewed a text/html message.  w3 will have expanded the fill-column
 > out to the full frame width, and that value then sticks.

 > My dreadful workaround:

 > (defun karl-correct-width (&optional useless)

[...]

I had run into this annoying problem yet again this morning, and I was
nearly to the point of trying to do something to fix it.  Glad you
beat me to it, no matter how dreadful!  Thanks.

Reid

* Re: `gnus-article-fill-cited-article' (W w) - Did behavior change?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-08-10 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> You will probably find that, at some point along the way, you viewed a
> text/html message.  w3 will have expanded the fill-column out to the
> full frame width, and that value then sticks.

I've now bound `fill-column' before calling w3-region, which should
make w3 leave the global binding of that variable alone...