* key binding ESC C-s in summary buffer
@ 1998-04-01 20:19 John H Palmieri
From: John H Palmieri @ 1998-04-01 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know it has been this way for some time, but I am not altogether
happy with having ESC C-s bound to something other than
isearch-forward-regexp, in any situation, and in particular in summary
mode in Gnus.  I occasionally want to do a regexp search in summary
buffers, and it's not very convenient.  (The first thing I do,
invariably, is to hit M-C-s, which isn't at all helpful.)  I haven't
noticed major clashes with other key bindings, but this one is
irritating to me.

I suppose I could rebind the key in the appropriate keymap, but it
seems that in the Emacs key binding philosophy (according to which I
try to lead my entire life), I shouldn't have to rebind a key to its
default global binding.

Is this an issue for anyone else, or do you manage to get by from day
to day without being able to search summary buffers, conveniently, for
regular expressions?

--
John H. Palmieri, Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics, University of Notre Dame

* Re: key binding ESC C-s in summary buffer
@ 1998-04-01 20:55 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-04-01 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri writes:

> I know it has been this way for some time, but I am not altogether
> happy with having ESC C-s bound to something other than
> isearch-forward-regexp, in any situation, and in particular in summary
> mode in Gnus.

> I suppose I could rebind the key in the appropriate keymap, but it
> seems that in the Emacs key binding philosophy (according to which I
> try to lead my entire life), I shouldn't have to rebind a key to its
> default global binding.

For my pet peeve keybinding, I use the following:

    (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map [(control meta l)] nil)

The `nil' argument to `define-key' "means key is undefined in this
keymap", which is really what you want.

> Is this an issue for anyone else, or do you manage to get by from day
> to day without being able to search summary buffers, conveniently, for
> regular expressions?

I definitely agree that gnus-summary-mode shouldn't override standard
non-editing keybindings.

--
Colin

* Re: key binding ESC C-s in summary buffer
@ 1998-04-02 10:30 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-04-02 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  John> Is this an issue for anyone else, or do you manage to get by from day
  John> to day without being able to search summary buffers, conveniently, for
  John> regular expressions?

I get by by typing C-u C-s for regexp search.

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: key binding ESC C-s in summary buffer
@ 1998-04-24 19:23   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-04-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I get by by typing C-u C-s for regexp search.

I use

(global-set-key "\C-s" 'isearch-forward-regexp)
(global-set-key "\C-r" 'isearch-backward-regexp)

and `C-u C-s' on the rare occation that I need the non-regexp
isearch.