* gnus-agent-expire seems to expire more messages than it should?
@ 2013-01-22  6:00 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-22  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

at some point recently, I realised that my agent directory was using up
over 2GB.  Not a big deal, as such, but I thought I could clean things
up a little.  I had a look at gnus-agent-expire and realised that
expiration of articles did not necessarily clean up the agent cache.  So
I executed this function.  Success: I freed up a lot of space.

However, I seem to have freed up rather more than I expected.  I have

,----[ C-h v gnus-agent-expire-all RET ]
| gnus-agent-expire-all is a variable defined in `gnus-agent.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, also expire unread, ticked and dormant articles.
| If nil, only read articles will be expired.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

which tells me that only *read* articles would be expired.  The gnus
agent seems to have expired all kinds of read articles as well,
essentially behaving as if I had set gnus-agent-expire-all to something
other than nil.  Am I misunderstanding something or have I missed
another configuration variable?

I haven't lost anything, obviously, but all my expired *unread* articles
now need to be re-loaded.  No big deal but I am curious!

I am using gnus up-to-date from a day or so ago.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.6

* Re: gnus-agent-expire seems to expire more messages than it should?
@ 2013-01-22  6:41 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-01-22  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

> which tells me that only *read* articles would be expired.  The gnus
> agent seems to have expired all kinds of read articles as well,

That should have been "all kinds of *unread* articles as well".

And, to clarify, those articles were expired from the agent directory;
the original emails remained where they are on the IMAP server.

Finally, I wonder if gnus-agent-expire is somewhat of a misnomer as it
is not about expiring in the usual gnus sense; it is about removing?
Expiring is more general?

Anyway, thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2013-08-01 21:48 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> at some point recently, I realised that my agent directory was using up
> over 2GB.  Not a big deal, as such, but I thought I could clean things
> up a little.  I had a look at gnus-agent-expire and realised that
> expiration of articles did not necessarily clean up the agent cache.  So
> I executed this function.  Success: I freed up a lot of space.
>
> However, I seem to have freed up rather more than I expected.  I have
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-agent-expire-all RET ]
> | gnus-agent-expire-all is a variable defined in `gnus-agent.el'.
> | Its value is nil

[...]

> which tells me that only *read* articles would be expired.  The gnus
> agent seems to have expired all kinds of read articles as well,
> essentially behaving as if I had set gnus-agent-expire-all to something
> other than nil.

Hm.  I've looked at the code, and it seems to be respecting
`gnus-agent-expire-all' as it should.

Do you have lots and lots of unread articles, or do you mean something
else by "unread"?

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php