* a strange encoding problem
@ 2001-11-07 14:13 Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2001-11-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

        Hi!

I've just experienced a strange problem when sending a french (with accents
messages) to a secondary nntp server:

The method is the following:

(nntp "free"
  (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-telnet-stream)
  (nntp-pre-command "runsocks")
  (nntp-address "news.free.fr")
  (nntp-end-of-line "
")))

Both the subject and the body contained é and è characters. However, while
they appeared correctly in the subject header, I got i and h in the body. The
contents-related message headers indicated normal stuff: iso-8859-1 and 8bits.

Any ideas ? I thought of problems with the telnet connection or the XEmacs
process, but I don't see how I could get accents in the subject but not in the
body.

--
Didier Verna, didier@lrde.epita.fr, http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier

EPITA / LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire   Tel.+33 (1) 53 14 59 47
94276 Le Kremlin-Bicêtre, France   Fax.+33 (1) 53 14 59 22   didier@xemacs.org

* Re: a strange encoding problem
@ 2001-12-29 21:38 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didier Verna <didier@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

> Both the subject and the body contained é and è characters. However,
> while they appeared correctly in the subject header, I got i and h
> in the body. The contents-related message headers indicated normal
> stuff: iso-8859-1 and 8bits.

Sounds like some transport agent stripped the eight bit.