* Gnus deja interface
@ 2000-03-05 14:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-05 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has something recent happened at Deja.com that is starting to break
our Gnus `G w'.

With a simple query like: pc-buf
I suddenly get:

   Contacting www.deja.com:80
   Reading [text/html]... 1k
   Retrieval complete.
   Mark set
   Mark set
   Unknown URL scheme: nil
   Parsed  20% of 6646...
   Unknown URL scheme: nil
   Parsed  39% of 6646...
   Unknown URL scheme: nil
   Parsed  56% of 6646...
   Parsed  66% of 6646...
   Parsed  77% of 6646...
   Parsed  88% of 6646...
   Parsed 100% of 6646...done
   Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth

Or is gnus stumbling on a specific URL only?

I did get an announcement from Deja.com a few day ago announcing some
changes.   Geez I hope its easy to fix...

The query: cylcebuffer  ... works as expected

The query ~g gnu.emacs.sources cyclebuffer    causes the nesting error
I'm pretty sure I've been using Deja style search operators in the past.

It also seems that any query using "dejanewsold"

Returns this same hit:

    1   31-Dec [   0:                     ] verdana (My Deja)

That contains:

    <head>
    <title>Deja.com: 404 Error</title>

The other selection "alta vista" and "reference.com"  return

"Couldn't request group: No matching articles"

On this query:  tripwire ... a known subject in many linux and unix groups

However the query: ~g comp.os.linux.security tripwire    (against
dejanews) works as expected.

Then again the query: ~g gnu.emacs.sources cyclebuffer.el

Blows up with nesting error again.

There seems no consistency to this.

I haven't cvs'ed for a couple weeks so that isn't the source.

* Re: Gnus deja interface
@ 2000-03-05 14:47 ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 2000-03-05 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Has something recent happened at Deja.com that is starting to break
> our Gnus `G w'.

Wow.  How long has that been in there??  Another marvelous toy I didn't
know about.

> With a simple query like: pc-buf
> I suddenly get:
>
>    Contacting www.deja.com:80

[...]

>    Parsed 100% of 6646...done
>    Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth

Using the same query I got 'Couldn't request group: No matching articles.'
Which I'm not sure I believe, but the connection to deja and the search
seemed to work OK.  At least AFAICT reading the sequence of events as it
scrolled by in the minibuffer.  How did you capture the minibuffer output
like that?

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>  http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/zamm.html

Though all my neighbors are barbarians, and you are a thousand miles away,
there are always two cups on my table.

* Re: Gnus deja interface
@ 2000-03-05 15:09   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-05 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> > Has something recent happened at Deja.com that is starting to break
> > our Gnus `G w'.
>
> Wow.  How long has that been in there??  Another marvelous toy I didn't
> know about.
>
> > With a simple query like: pc-buf
> > I suddenly get:
> >
> >    Contacting www.deja.com:80
>
> [...]
>
> >    Parsed 100% of 6646...done
> >    Lisp nesting exceeds max-lisp-eval-depth
>
> Using the same query I got 'Couldn't request group: No matching articles.'

Are you sure you used the exact same query  against dejanews?
pc-buf

Trying here a few more times I still get the nesting error.

> Which I'm not sure I believe, but the connection to deja and the search
> seemed to work OK.  At least AFAICT reading the sequence of events as it
> scrolled by in the minibuffer.  How did you capture the minibuffer output
> like that?

Capturing the minibuffer output is an ancient yet secret trick known
only to 3 people in the world.  So after I tell you, you can expect
the black helicopters in a day or two.

After the messages scroll by, press C-x b *M<SPC> <RET>  To see the
*Messages* buffer.   Gnus will probably remove the asterisks and
boldify the words they surround so to see what needs to be typed press
C-u g on this message to see the raw message.

Or   C-x b <asterisk>M<SPC> <RET>  to see
<asterisk>Messages<asterisk> buffer.

* Re: Gnus deja interface
@ 2000-03-05 15:36     ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 2000-03-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> > Using the same query I got 'Couldn't request group: No matching articles.'
>
> Are you sure you used the exact same query  against dejanews?
> pc-buf
>
> Trying here a few more times I still get the nesting error.

Yes, I used the exact same query, pc-buf.  I also tried 'reference' with
same result -- no matching articles.

> Capturing the minibuffer output is an ancient yet secret trick known
> only to 3 people in the world.  So after I tell you, you can expect
> the black helicopters in a day or two.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll hide all my tactical stuff immediately.  :}

--

@ 2000-03-05 16:11     ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 2000-03-05 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Are you sure you used the exact same query  against dejanews?
> pc-buf
>
> Trying here a few more times I still get the nesting error.
>
> > Which I'm not sure I believe, but the connection to deja and the search
> > seemed to work OK.  At least AFAICT reading the sequence of events as it
> > scrolled by in the minibuffer.  How did you capture the minibuffer output
> > like that?
>
> Capturing the minibuffer output is an ancient yet secret trick known
> only to 3 people in the world.  So after I tell you, you can expect
> the black helicopters in a day or two.
>
> After the messages scroll by, press C-x b *M<SPC> <RET>  To see the
> *Messages* buffer.   Gnus will probably remove the asterisks and
> boldify the words they surround so to see what needs to be typed press
> C-u g on this message to see the raw message.
>
> Or   C-x b <asterisk>M<SPC> <RET>  to see
> <asterisk>Messages<asterisk> buffer.

Request sent, waiting for response...
Reading [text/html]... 501 bytes
Reading [text/html]... 2k
Retrieval complete.
Unknown URL scheme: nil
Parsed  20% of 6646...
Unknown URL scheme: nil
Parsed  39% of 6646...
Unknown URL scheme: nil
Parsed  56% of 6646...
Parsed  66% of 6646...
Parsed  77% of 6646...
Parsed  88% of 6646...
Parsed 100% of 6646...done
No matching articles
Couldn't request group: No matching articles

There was a lot more in the buffer, but I think this is the relevant
portion.  Thanks for another shiny addition to my toolbox.

--

@ 2000-03-05 16:53       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2000-03-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> Request sent, waiting for response...

[...]

> Parsed 100% of 6646...done
> No matching articles
> Couldn't request group: No matching articles

I just noticed that you are using Xemacs and gnus 5.8.3  where as, I am
using fsf emacs and gnus 5.8.4  (2wks? old cvs)

Maybe that is why the query pc-buf gets different results on our
setups.

I did find some of the problem I was having with Deja style queries
using the Deja operators like ( ~  tilde).  So will embarrassedly
report the error:

Using the ~g operator to signifiy that the next string is a group name
and then a keyword   `~g comp.unix.security tripwire'  *IS*  working here

What I did in this case was inadvertantly leave out the "g"!

~gnu.emacs.sources  switch buffer  instead of:
~g gnu.emacs.sources swithch buffer

Sort of easy to overlook.  (my only excuse..)

* Re: Gnus deja interface
@ 2000-03-07  7:48   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-03-07  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Has something recent happened at Deja.com that is starting to break
>> our Gnus `G w'.

> Wow.  How long has that been in there??  Another marvelous toy I
> didn't know about.

Quite some time, I think.  But it didn't work for a while, because the
Deja people changed their HTML format.

* Re: Gnus deja interface
@ 2000-03-07 12:14     ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 2000-03-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
> >> Has something recent happened at Deja.com that is starting to break
> >> our Gnus `G w'.
>
> > Wow.  How long has that been in there??  Another marvelous toy I
> > didn't know about.
>
> Quite some time, I think.  But it didn't work for a while, because the
> Deja people changed their HTML format.

Seems to be working now. Last night I spent an hour or so researching 100
Mbps network cards and Linux.  Sooo much nicer than wading through deja's
website.  They have a valuable resource there, but the interface is horrid.

Ah, the joy of gnus.  About once a week I get another pleasant surprise.

--

@ 2000-03-07 16:36       ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-03-07 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net> writes:

> Seems to be working now. Last night I spent an hour or so researching 100
> Mbps network cards and Linux.  Sooo much nicer than wading through deja's
> website.  They have a valuable resource there, but the interface is horrid.

And keeps getting worse.  Now you can't search usenet from the top
page.  Geeez.....

248 days, 22 hours, 58 minutes, 28 seconds till we run away.
The worst is enemy of the bad.