* Pterodactyl Gnus v0.82 is released
@ 1999-04-17 16:42 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lots of patches incorporated.

Get it from <URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/dist/pgnus.tar.gz> or
"/ftp@quimby.gnus.org:/pub/gnus/".  The patch is available as
<URL:ftp://quimby.gnus.org/pub/gnus/ding-patches/pgnus-0.81-0.82.diff.gz>.

ChangeLog since last release:

Sat Apr 17 16:41:30 1999  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@menja.ifi.uio.no>

	* gnus.el: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.82 is released.

1999-04-15  Hrvoje Niksic  <hniksic@srce.hr>

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-group-charset-alist): Include Croatian groups
	for iso8859-2.

1999-04-17 18:23:50  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* mm-util.el (mm-charset-synonym-alist): Remove iso-2022-jp-2 from
	synonym alist.

1999-04-17 18:03:38  Adam P. Jenkins  <ajenkins@netway.com>

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-local-variables): Mark as global.

1999-04-17 18:02:05  Ettore Perazzoli  <ettore@comm2000.it>

	* mail-source.el (mail-source-fetch): Ask before bugging out.

1999-03-19  Hrvoje Niksic  <hniksic@srce.hr>

	* uudecode.el (uudecode-decode-region-external): Don't assume
	uudecode-temporary-file-directory ends with a slash.

1999-03-18  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-update-marks):
	(gnus-update-read-articles):
	(gnus-summary-expire-articles): Check server.

1999-03-16  Simon Josefsson  <jas@pdc.kth.se>

	* mml.el (mml-preview): New function.

1999-04-17 17:10:21  William M. Perry  <wmperry@aventail.com>

	* mail-source.el (mail-source-fetch-file): Return the right
	value.

1999-04-17 07:52:17  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen  <larsi@gnus.org>

	* mml.el (mml-insert-parameter): New function.
	(mml-insert-parameter-string): New function.

	* nnmail.el (nnmail-get-new-mail): Say how many new articles.

	* gnus-art.el (gnus-mime-multipart-functions): New variable.
	(gnus-mime-display-part): Use it.

	* mm-decode.el (mm-alternative-precedence): Removed.
	(mm-discouraged-alternatives): New variable.
	(mm-preferred-alternative-precedence): New function.

	* nnmail.el (nnmail-get-new-mail): Use mail-sources.

	* mail-source.el (mail-sources): New variable.

	* gnus-art.el (article-remove-cr): Remove several trailing CRs.

	* mm-decode.el (mm-valid-image-format-p): New function.
	(mm-inline-media-tests): Use it.
	(mm-valid-and-fit-image-p): New function.

	* gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-fetch-groups): Error when unplugged.
	(gnus-agent-fetch-group): Ditto.

1999-04-12  Didier Verna  <verna@inf.enst.fr>

	* nnmail.el (nnmail-article-group): in case of a group name
	containing "\\n" constructs, be sure to pass the expanded value to
	nn*-save-mail.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.82 is released
@ 1999-04-17 17:50 ` Michael Cook
From: Michael Cook @ 1999-04-17 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Get it from <URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/dist/pgnus.tar.gz> or

That URL seems to be invalid.  But this one seems to work:
<URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/dist/pgnus.tar.gz>.

M.

* No longer can enter groups! (Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.82 is released)
@ 1999-04-18  0:24 ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-04-18  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Lots of patches incorporated.
>
> Get it from <URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/dist/pgnus.tar.gz> or
> "/ftp@quimby.gnus.org:/pub/gnus/".  The patch is available as
> <URL:ftp://quimby.gnus.org/pub/gnus/ding-patches/pgnus-0.81-0.82.diff.gz>.
>
> [ ... ]

I have just installed pgnus-0.82 after having been running pgnus-0.81.
Everything runs fine when I use version 0.81, but in 0.82, I cannot
enter any groups, even when they are listed in the Group buffer as
having unread articles.  I try to enter the group (via the spacebar or
the enter key), and a message comes out at the bottom of the screen
saying that the expiry process is taking place, and then the group is
not entered with the cursor moving down to the next group with unread
articles.  The unread article count remains the same after this
happens.

In my group customization buffer, I have the expiry set to "Never"
on some of the groups, and to a time period on some of the others.
This doesn't seem to have any effect, one way or the other, on this
behavior.

In order to do anything in any of my groups (including to post this
message) I have had to roll back to 0.81.

By the way, I'm running XEmacs-21.2beta4 under RedHat Linux 5.0,
if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: No longer can enter groups! (Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.82 is released)
@ 1999-04-18  0:35   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-04-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> [ ... ]
>
> I have just installed pgnus-0.82 after having been running pgnus-0.81.
> Everything runs fine when I use version 0.81, but in 0.82, I cannot
> enter any groups, even when they are listed in the Group buffer as
> having unread articles.  I try to enter the group (via the spacebar or
> the enter key), and a message comes out at the bottom of the screen
> saying that the expiry process is taking place, and then the group is
> not entered with the cursor moving down to the next group with unread
> articles.  The unread article count remains the same after this
> happens.

Another thing: I get the 'no unread articles' message as this is
occurring, even though the unread article count for the group still
shows the same positive number after this happens.  When I switch
back to 0.81 and try to enter the same groups, the unread article
count shows up the same way in the Group buffer, and when I enter
the group, that many unread articles are indeed being displayed in
the Summary buffer.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Pterodactyl Gnus v0.82 is released
@ 1999-04-18  6:26   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-18  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Cook <cook@sightpath.com> writes:

> > Get it from <URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/dist/pgnus.tar.gz> or
>
> That URL seems to be invalid.  But this one seems to work:
> <URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/gnus/dist/pgnus.tar.gz>.

Okidoke.  I've now updated the script again.  :-)

* Re: No longer can enter groups in 0.82 and 0.83 ... ???
@ 1999-04-19  1:36   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-04-19  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just got the same problem with pgnus-0.83 (please read what I have
quoted below).  Also note that I always get the "no unread articles"
message in each group I try to enter, irrespective of how many unread
articles there really are.

Everything has worke fine for me up to and including pgnus-0.81, but
this started happening in pgnus-0.82 and, as I have noted, is
continuing in pgnus-0.83

Any ideas what could be causing this?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: No longer can enter groups in 0.82 and 0.83 ... ???
@ 1999-04-19  2:33     ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 1999-04-19  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> I just got the same problem with pgnus-0.83 (please read what I have
> quoted below).  Also note that I always get the "no unread articles"
> message in each group I try to enter, irrespective of how many unread
> articles there really are.
>
> Everything has worke fine for me up to and including pgnus-0.81, but
> this started happening in pgnus-0.82 and, as I have noted, is
> continuing in pgnus-0.83
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this?

Well, I figured out a workaround to the problem I'm describing, but I
have a feeling that this is not the ultimate solution:

I noticed that in version 0.81, the `gnus-summary-expunge-below'
variable was not marked as `global' in gnus-sum.el, but in versions
0.82 and 0.83, it is marked as `global'.  This seems to be causing the
problem I'm seeing.

I have `gnus-use-scoring' set to `t' in my `.gnus.el' file, and I
specify `all.SCORE' for my score file.  However, that score file
doesn't exist (and hasn't for eons).  For some reason, this causes
everything to be scored to some number below 1 (probably 0).

In versions 0.82 and 0.83, the `gnus-summary-expunge-below' variable
gets set to 1 when I'm in summary mode.  In version 0.81, it gets set
to `nil'.  This variable interacts with the scoring that I described
in the previous paragraph to cause all my articles to look like they
have been read.

So, I have come up with three possible workarounds for this, all of
which are probably not the "real" solution:

(1)  Put this line into my gnus summary mode hook:

       `(setq gnus-summary-expunge-below nil)'

(2)  Create an `all.SCORE' file that scores every article in all groups
     to 1 or above.

(3)  Turn off `gnus-use-scoring'

I don't really like number (3) because I do use scoring for a subset
of the groups I read.  I don't like (2) because then I'm needlessly
scoring everything just to compensate for this behavior.  I don't like
(1) because I think that I'm just covering up the real problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: No longer can enter groups in 0.82 and 0.83 ... ???
@ 1999-04-19  6:26       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-04-19  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> In versions 0.82 and 0.83, the `gnus-summary-expunge-below' variable
> gets set to 1 when I'm in summary mode.  In version 0.81, it gets set
> to `nil'.

The default value of `gnus-thread-expunge-below' hasn't changed.  Are
you setting it to 1 in your .gnus.el?