* bug in calculation of line length again
@ 1998-11-23  8:02 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-11-23  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

in pgnus v0.53, i'm (again) getting a warning "You have lines longer
than 79 characters.  Really post? " when i'm trying to send messages
in Russian, while there are no such lines in a message. Here is a
backtrace:

Signaling: (quit)
  y-or-n-p("You have lines longer than 79 characters.  Really post? ")
  message-check-news-body-syntax()
  message-check-news-syntax()
  message-send-news(nil)
  message-send-via-news(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
* call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

When such a warning appears, the message buffer contains `unencoded'
text like \301\310\302...

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: bug in calculation of line length again
@ 1998-11-23 18:30 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1998-11-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

VVV> Hi,
VVV> in pgnus v0.53, i'm (again) getting a warning "You have lines longer
VVV> than 79 characters.  Really post? " when i'm trying to send messages
VVV> in Russian, while there are no such lines in a message. Here is a
VVV> backtrace:

VVV> Signaling: (quit)
VVV>   y-or-n-p("You have lines longer than 79 characters.  Really post? ")
VVV>   message-check-news-body-syntax()
VVV>   message-check-news-syntax()
VVV>   message-send-news(nil)
VVV>   message-send-via-news(nil)
VVV>   message-send(nil)
VVV>   message-send-and-exit(nil)
VVV> * call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

VVV> When such a warning appears, the message buffer contains `unencoded'
VVV> text like \301\310\302...

I guess it is because of decoding. By reading codes of
message-send-news, you can find that gnus does encoding before
checking. Is it a proper order?

`(standard-display-8bit 160 255)' may relieve your pain.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: bug in calculation of line length again
@ 1998-11-23 19:17   ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-11-23 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"ZSH" == Shenghuo ZHU writes:

 ZSH> I guess it is because of decoding. By reading codes of
 ZSH> message-send-news, you can find that gnus does encoding before
 ZSH> checking. Is it a proper order?

Perhaps, it is wrong. Some more detail: when the message does not
contain a `Newsgroups:' header (i.e. when it is a mail), gnus behaves
correctly (does not produce false warnings). When there is a
`Newsgroups:' header, gnus behaves wrong WRT line length calculation
(i just tested the very same message, with the only difference: in the
first case there was a Newsgroups header, and in the second case there
was To header).

 ZSH> `(standard-display-8bit 160 255)' may relieve your pain.

But is it a Right Thing (TM) to use standard-display-8bit in a MULE
environment? I do not think so.

@ 1998-11-23 19:37     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1998-11-23 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

VVV> "ZSH" == Shenghuo ZHU writes:
ZSH> I guess it is because of decoding. By reading codes of
ZSH> message-send-news, you can find that gnus does encoding before
ZSH> checking. Is it a proper order?

VVV> Perhaps, it is wrong. Some more detail: when the message does not
VVV> contain a `Newsgroups:' header (i.e. when it is a mail), gnus
VVV> behaves correctly (does not produce false warnings). When there
VVV> is a `Newsgroups:' header, gnus behaves wrong WRT line length
VVV> calculation (i just tested the very same message, with the only
VVV> difference: in the first case there was a Newsgroups header, and
VVV> in the second case there was To header).

message-send-mail does not check syntax.

ZSH> `(standard-display-8bit 160 255)' may relieve your pain.

VVV> But is it a Right Thing (TM) to use standard-display-8bit in a MULE
VVV> environment? I do not think so.

I do not really know whether it is or not. But it works for me.  I
would rather see meaningless 8-bit strings than strings containing
lots of backslashes and numbers.

--
Shenghuo

* Re: bug in calculation of line length again
@ 1998-11-24  9:59 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> in pgnus v0.53, i'm (again) getting a warning "You have lines longer
> than 79 characters.  Really post? " when i'm trying to send messages
> in Russian, while there are no such lines in a message. Here is a
> backtrace:
>
> Signaling: (quit)
>   y-or-n-p("You have lines longer than 79 characters.  Really post? ")

I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after
Pterodactyl Gnus v0.54 has been released to see whether things start
working?

* Re: bug in calculation of line length again
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-24 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> I do not really know whether it is or not. But it works for me.  I
> would rather see meaningless 8-bit strings than strings containing
> lots of backslashes and numbers.

In this case, the user is "supposed" to see the backslashes and stuff,
because the buffer had been encoded before preparing to send it to the
world.

* Re: bug in calculation of line length again
@ 1998-11-24 13:49   ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-11-24 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"LMI" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

 >> Signaling: (quit) y-or-n-p("You have lines longer than 79
 >> characters.  Really post? ")
 LMI> I think I've located and fixed this bug.  Could you check after
 LMI> Pterodactyl Gnus v0.54 has been released to see whether things
 LMI> start working?

Yup. Thank you.

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.